Repair Shaft Seal Surface?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mcman56

Repair Shaft Seal Surface?

Post by mcman56 »

I have what appears to be a pressed together transmission output shaft with collar that had some corrosion. See picture after polishing. A replacement is not available. It has a double lip seal and it looks to me like water got in between the lips. This is on a motorcycle I purchased that had not run in a long time. I saw no signs of an oil leak but the corrosion could have happened after it was parked. I'm thinking it may not leak but would like to repair if feasible. This collar has a small oil hole on both sides.
- Can you put holes in the commercially available shaft savers that are a thin pressed on sleeve? I'm guessing they are very hard and easily damaged.
- Any other suggestions? Since this is unobtainable, I'm reluctant to try and take it apart.

Output Shaft.JPG
John Hasler

Re: Repair Shaft Seal Surface?

Post by John Hasler »

The sleeves I've used aren't very hard but I've never tried to put a hole in one.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Possibly grind it a few thousandths undersize? Might be able to drill a hole in a shaft saver if you have an internal support for the sleeve.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

It is possible to put a hole in anything.

If all else fails...find someone with an EDM drill.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

This looks like a perfect job for that spray welder Adam booth shows off every once in awhile!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

It looks like the inner portion is a bearing area.
leave that part alone.
Find a seal with the same OD and a slightly smaller ID.
Cut a little step into the shaft end where the seal rides.

I've done it.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Pack the hole with grease plus something such as string that you can pull out later. This is to keep swarf out of the hole. Install the sleeve. Grind a hole in the sleeve with a die grinder. Fish out the packing and the swarf with it.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

I have seen them a lot worse, drive sprocket flings off all the crud including road grit and water.
I would just replace the seal and maybe cut a few turns off the seal tensioning spring.