Can you heat treat small parts at home?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pete

Re: Can you heat treat small parts at home?

Post by pete »

Those parts are small and with a large enough surface area it should be doable Ron. Warpage from quenching might be a problem though.

Afaik commercial heat treating company's use various inert gases to remove the unwanted oxygen inside the furnace. Because of cost and complexity that's not really practical in a home shop. But I ran across this video by Dan Gelbert a month or so ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWPYoE1SNnA&t=1377s the important part starts at the 22:30 minute mark. He uses dirt cheap methanol and drip feeds it into the furnace to remove the oxygen and have a carburizing atmosphere. One of the most simple but genius level ideas I've ever seen on Youtube.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

RSG wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:36 pm
Bill Shields wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:09 pm Ah yes...but mix it with oxygen and it gets hotter than most people need really fast.
I assume you need a regulator or dual connector of some sort to blend them?
The kit I bought way back when was just a dual hose with knobs on top of the cans. Nothing more elaborate than that.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Harold, cool little ovens, they look like they would be the least amount of aggravation but I only need to make a handful at a time so it's likely not worth it.

Pete, as usual you find the interesting stuff. I watched the video for the idea but found myself watching the entire thing for the simple fact the guys is very interesting and has a pile of cool equipment.

Thanks whatego, I found them at the local hardware store.

I think for now I'm going to contact a local heat treating company I knew of years ago to see what the fees are to heat treat a bunch professionally.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

RSG wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:55 amPete, as usual you find the interesting stuff. I watched the video for the idea but found myself watching the entire thing for the simple fact the guys is very interesting and has a pile of cool equipment.
I did the same!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

whateg0 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:33 pm
Bill Shields wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:09 pm Ah yes...but mix it with oxygen and it gets hotter than most people need really fast.
The kit I bought way back when was just a dual hose with knobs on top of the cans. Nothing more elaborate than that.
ever seen an oxy acetylene torch and regulators?

just be VERY CAREFUL with pure oxygen....reacts violently with hydrocarbons (oil / grease) and various o-rings / rubber compounds
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:13 pm Considering the size of the parts in question, a burnout oven commonly used by the dental industry (for investment casting) would be more than adequate. The chamber is exceedingly small, so the oven wouldn't take up much space and most likely would operate from the typical wall outlet.

Here's an example (although it's not specifically made for the dental industry):

https://www.etsy.com/listing/625067352/ ... ting_top-4

Note that I have no connection with the seller or maker of this product.

H
1000 degree C is good, but it takes 50 minutes to reach that temperature. Just don't be in a hurry. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
RSG

Post by RSG »

I called a local heat treating company and for $75.00 they'll do as many rings as I want so that's the best option I think.

I appreciate everyones input but for this one I need to make sure they are done right.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:13 pm Considering the size of the parts in question, a burnout oven commonly used by the dental industry (for investment casting) would be more than adequate.
I picked one up at an estate sale a number of years ago for $25, so you CAN get them on the cheap.

Steve
pete

Post by pete »

For a $75 charge and as many as you want at that price I think I'd do the same Ron. Plus you should get real good consistency from batch to batch.

Yeah Dan's video's are well worth watching, a self made and literal Billionaire who lives in Vancouver. The one on his lathe built with granite blocks and an air bearing spindle is also worth watching.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:16 am
whateg0 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:33 pm

ever seen an oxy acetylene torch and regulators?

just be VERY CAREFUL with pure oxygen....reacts violently with hydrocarbons (oil / grease) and various o-rings / rubber compounds
I'm well aware of the dangers of O2 in the presence of fuel sources. I also know what the regulators on my o/a rig are.