Collet Holder ID

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

bug_hunter

Collet Holder ID

Post by bug_hunter »

First post here. Hope you guys can help me out. I'm retired and eh owner of the 1942+/- South Bend 9c. Had it fo a year or so, and am teaching myself as I go. Now to the help:

I have, what I think is a SB 30mm to 3C collet adapter for a South Bend mill, 90 degree attachment. I know that a 3C collet seats nicely in the adapter, and it also has the SB set screw pockets. It came with a short draw tube. No threads anywhere on the piece but there is a dimple inside to keep the collet aligned. I would like to verify that it is indeed what I think it is. I do not own a SB Mill, nor will likely ever own one. I've attached a photo, an excerpt from a SB catalog (Collet.pdf), and some measurements.

Any help would be appreciated,

Greg
collet.pdf
(76.85 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
collet.png
collet.jpg
Andy R

Re: Collet Holder ID

Post by Andy R »

Greg,
I have a 1940 South Bend 9c and that does not look like anything that South Bend cataloged.
Are there any identifying marks?
bug_hunter

Post by bug_hunter »

Andy R wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:35 pm Greg,
I have a 1940 South Bend 9c and that does not look like anything that South Bend cataloged.
Are there any identifying marks?
No identifying marks. The indentations mimic what was on the collet holder for the SB mill 90degree milling head. Not sure if I attached that catalog cut previously or not. No photo of the holder, but a description under Item A.
SouthBendMillingCatalog.jpg
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

It appears that we have the same SB catalog. (1959)
Close examination of the figure does imply that you have the collet holder and the draw-in attachment.
It all seems useless without a 90-degree milling head.
Maybe somebody with that will want a spare?
bug_hunter

Post by bug_hunter »

Andy R wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:42 pm It appears that we have the same SB catalog. (1959)
Close examination of the figure does imply that you have the collet holder and the draw-in attachment.
It all seems useless without a 90-degree milling head.
Maybe somebody with that will want a spare?

Andy,

I agree, it appears that what I have is indeed for the SB Mill, but I was hoping that would be verified by someone who actually has one. The collet holder does me no good, so there is another reason I hope to hear form a SB Mill owner.

Thanks for the "look".

Greg