My band saw broke!!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

GlennW

My band saw broke!!

Post by GlennW »

I bought this Roll-In 20" band saw in 1979 or 80 and it has truly been trouble free and a work horse. I was sawing some plate the other day and suddenly the blade stopped, but the motor was still running. I opened the back up and the motor and drive shafts to the gear box were turning, but no blade movement and smooth and quiet as usual. Opened the front and can just spin the drive wheel effortlessly and quietly, so my suspicion is a broken shaft. Soooo, out comes the gear box for disassembly and inspection and sure enough the wheel drive shaft is in two pieces. (Yes it is Russ!) What's more interesting is it is a cast and then machined/ground shaft with sharp inside corners on the relief grooves that aren't even really needed. No surprise that it broke.
DSC03734.JPG
DSC03733.JPG
The gear box is actually quite well made and shows no sings of wear whatsoever, so they definitely got that part right!

I looked online and the saws still look the same, and they show a new shaft being available for $325.00, but I'm not so sure that the saws have not had some internal changes made to them over the years, so I need to find out by serial number if my shaft is still available. Just in case I measured the shaft up and made a drawing of it and have some 4140 pre hard bar ready to go. The issue at this point is time, as I'm overloaded at work and need to be doing other things than making a shaft if it is available.
Untitled.jpg
Monday's phone call will determine which direction I go on this project, make one, or buy one!

A little turning between centers, a bit of threading, a bit of grinding where the bearings go, cutting a woodruff key seat for the gear, and a square shaft keyway for the drive wheel.
DSC03735.JPG
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Bill Shields

Re: My band saw broke!!

Post by Bill Shields »

if it lasted 40 years then it is well past any warranty that anyone would offer.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Nice repair Glenn! Good to go for another 40 years :wink:
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

RSG wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:43 am Nice repair Glenn! Good to go for another 40 years :wink:
I think you missed the part where he is trying to decide whether to make the part or not. 🤔
RSG

Post by RSG »

whateg0 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:37 am
RSG wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:43 am Nice repair Glenn! Good to go for another 40 years :wink:
I think you missed the part where he is trying to decide whether to make the part or not. 🤔
LOL....guess I assumed he did it based on this comment
GlennW wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:25 pm A little turning between centers, a bit of threading, a bit of grinding where the bearings go, cutting a woodruff key seat for the gear, and a square shaft keyway for the drive wheel.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Took about ten minutes to rough one end of it out within about .100". 1 1/2" 4140 pre hard bar.

I had to stick it out and use the center, as the "feed out" method really wouldn't work very well with this nasty, scaly, hot rolled bar.
DSC03737.JPG
Took longer to get the tailstock back on the lathe. I seldom use it, so I have to drop it down between the turret and the carriage and then finagle the nut on the bottom side reaching up through the bed. (Fun!) It must weigh a hundred pounds and seems to be gaining weight rapidly. I used to remove the turret when I needed the tailstock, but it's 130 lbs and like picking up an octopus, so I quit doing that.
DSC03738.JPG
Now I'll cut it to length, rough the other end, and then set it up between centers to get it closer to the finished dimensions. I'm not wild about roughing between centers. That's tomorrow after it cools enough to handle.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Didn't realize it was still early. Ready for turning between centers tomorrow.
DSC03739.JPG
Glenn

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Ha....none of us actually thought you would purchase a replacement :mrgreen:
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Why buy something for $325.00 when you an make it for $400.00!
Glenn

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

But for $325 you get a part that only lasts so long. For $400 you get a lifetime warranty :mrgreen:
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Yea, I didn't want to have to go through this again in 40 years. Once is enough. :)
Glenn

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

GlennW wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:50 pm Why buy something for $325.00 when you an make it for $400.00!
Chuckle!
That tends to parallel my philosophy, or so it seems.

I'm with you. I am not fond of turning between centers, even for finishing. I do it, when necessary, because of the inherent quality of working between centers (concentricity). Truth is, I'm far more inclined to use soft jaws and then finish on the grinder, between centers, of course. With soft jaws, concentricity is rarely an issue, and the added rigidity (especially for roughing) generally yields a much faster project.

Well done thus far, Glenn. You'll have it finished long before a purchased one would arrive.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.