Toolbox drawer labels

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Toolbox drawer labels

Post by SteveM »

My son complained that the drawers on my toolbox weren't labeled.

I just got a new 36" wide Snap-on top / bottom combo to replace the 26" one I've had for almost 40 years.

Everything is going to be in new drawers, so labeling might be a good idea.

I didn't like the idea of white labels on the drawers, and then, when I moved something to another drawer, I'd have to peel off the label and make a new one.

Went to the sign shop and bought a bunch of his "drops" of sheet magnetic material.

Tried to get a spray can of red from Snap-on and it was taking so long, the dealer even apologized.

Rustoleum makes a color called "toolbox red", but nobody has it in stock. Home Depot has it, but you have to buy a case. On the other had, the case of Rustoleum was cheaper than the one can from Snap-on.

I grabbed the Ace Hardware paint swatch flyer, brought it home and the closest one was "Safety Red". It was close enough and considering that this box is probably 30-40 years old, the color has probably changed enough that the Snap-on paint wasn't going to be exact anyway.

I cut the magnetic sheets into 1" wide strips and painted them red.

Got a roll of clear Dymo label, so it would be black letters on clear.

Made labels, stuck them to the painted magnetic strips and cut them to size.

They look good on the box, I can read them, but they are not so noticeable as to be obnoxious.
Toolbox1.jpg
Toolbox2.jpg
Steve
liveaboard

Re: Toolbox drawer labels

Post by liveaboard »

Cool. looks great.

I'm so dyslexic, I should label the drawers on my toolbox even though no one else uses it.

Except I'm too blind to read the labels without my glasses, and by the time I find the glasses I've opened and closed enough drawers to find the tool...
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Keep the glasses in the first drawer. Such a smart ass.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

I just got a tin can gage drawered tool cart and tool box and just started to label the drawers as
they get filled. That's a great idea using magnetic sign sheets, but I'll stick to my white Ptouch labeling
since the tool carts are black.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

jcfx wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:07 pm...I'll stick to my white Ptouch labeling since the tool carts are black.
These ARE p-touch labels. These are the clear ones.

You can stick the white ones on magnetics, too.

Steve
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

My wife would just move the magnetic ones! :cry: I use the P-Touch white on black and stick them on permanently, and she still can't
put the tools back into the correct drawers.

Jim B
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

rrnut-2 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:25 pm My wife would just move the magnetic ones! :cry: I use the P-Touch white on black and stick them on permanently, and she still can't

Jim B
So why haven't you bought her her own set of tools yet?
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

SteveM wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:52 pm
jcfx wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:07 pm...I'll stick to my white Ptouch labeling since the tool carts are black.

Steve
I used the white on clear and put them on black poster board to slide into the handles on my us general boxes with the clear cover you can barely tell they are labels
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

SteveM wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:52 pm

Steve
I assumed they were P-Touch clear, I use the black type on white PTouch tapes as well as the yellow ones.
Like you said they'll all work on the mag sheets. :)
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

whateg0 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:10 pm
rrnut-2 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:25 pm My wife would just move the magnetic ones! :cry: I use the P-Touch white on black and stick them on permanently, and she still can't

Jim B
So why haven't you bought her her own set of tools yet?
She does. I bought a Snap On tool box for the shop a few years ago and she confiscated as her own! My shop tools wind up in her tool box. :x

Jim B