What are they???

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Rolland

What are they???

Post by Rolland »

Yes I know they are reamers but what are they made for. ??? They came out of a old guys gun shop. they are graduated sizes
I neglected to add sizes ..371, .3695, .343, .312, .250

Last edited by Rolland on Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GlennW

Re: What are they???

Post by GlennW »

Could be for reaming pistol barrels to install liners. Fairly common for .22 cal.

Can't say that I have ever seen one, so just a wild guess.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

You might consider writing to Brownells.com or to Midwayusa.com. They are gunsmith supply houses.
I've never seen anything like them either.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Never used one but believe they are called line bore reamers
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
pete

Post by pete »

What are the exact sizes and any manufacturer's name roll stamped on them? They should be marked with that up at the drive end and that might help a lot. I'd say Glenn's guess was probably accurate since at one time it was fairly common to reline barrels because of the rust caused by corrosive primer compounds. I don't think there for reaming revolver cylinders because of the very long pilot length they have. Brownells still show the drills and liners available, but no reamers I can find which doesn't mean much since they don't carry everything. Pacific Tool & Gauge would be one of the largest for barrel tooling and there bore reamers are quite a bit different design. But again that doesn't mean much.
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

You're overthinking it.
They were what the previous gun shop owner used to use to eat his Chinese takeout!
[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk