I actually used the shop today!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

I actually used the shop today!

Post by seal killer »

All--

It has been a loooong time since I did anything in the shop after we built the new place. My excuse is that I am constantly working on the grounds to improve the view over the cliff. This means thinning out the trees so it doesn't look like a jungle. I use my backhoe to take the trees down and remove the rootballs. My Komatsu SK1020-5 Turbo helps me move all the downed trees and brush to the various burn piles.

While moving a big load the other day, I somehow got the quick attach in a bind. I think a limb slipped between the quick attach handle and the quick attach assembly.

Pop!

I broke the handle's stud off and broke the assembly rod connecting the handle to the pin that holds the implements on. Not good.

I envisioned hauling the skid steer to the Komatsu place in Springfield, MO (80 miles) that both sells and services that brand and just about any other. They are very good. You pay for that quality of service.

Then I remembered, "Hey! I got stuff! I'll fix it!"

I drilled out the broken off stud in the quick attach assembly. Below, you see I am threading the hole . . .
0929211730a_HDR.jpg
Next I cut off a 2" piece of 1/2"-13 all thread and screwed in . . .
0929211754_HDR.jpg
I bought a hardened (10.9) steel M12-1.75 piece of all-thread 7" long from McMaster-Carr. It had been YEARS since I bought anything from them; early 2015, I think. I used that piece to replace the one I had broken. (That rod is within the spring assembly shown below.)

Here's the finished work . . .
0930211452.jpg
I wasn't actually in the shop. I was just outside it in the drive-through bay of the garage. So here's a picture proving I was at least close to the shop . . .
0929211731.jpg
I ran into the need for some flat washers with a 3/4" (or thereabouts) hole. I didn't have any, so I mounted one I did have in the three jaw and presto! I had what I needed. I made three of them.

It was good to use the lathe if even for something as trivial as making a washer hole larger.

--Bill
You are what you write.
liveaboard

Re: I actually used the shop today!

Post by liveaboard »

Near the shop; better than far away, but not as good as inside.

You'll get there soon, no doubt!
Good to hear from you.
pete

Post by pete »

I'd suggest cutting those excess threads off flush with the nut. It's not if those threads are going to get buggered up, only how long until they do Bill. It will save you some time and frustration later trying to straighten the stud or even dressing the threads so you can do any future disassembly. Equipment almost always uses bolts everywhere on the exterior instead of studs simply because the bolt heads are barely above the surface and are a lot more durable against damage. Even then in some high wear points, the area the bolt head fits into is purposely recessed so the surrounding metal helps protect the bolt heads from damage or abrasion. The heavy guards used on Cat blade tilt cylinders are one example of that.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

pete and liveaboard--

pete, I used a hardware store all-thread to replace the stud. So I'll probably get another shot at it. Thank you for the advice!

liveaboard, if I had placed the mill where I placed the lathe, which is against the far wall in the shop and right across from the door, I could have driven the skid steer right to the mill and positioned the quick attach on the mill table. That would have made it easy to drill that stud out and then tap it.

But, I didn't. :(

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Good to hear from you, Bill. You and Barb doing ok? Staying healthy?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

McM-C is amazing. Occasionally pricy with shipping, but if they don't got it, you don't need it!

How's life in the Ozarks? Is this your first or second winter?
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold and neanderman--

Harold, we are doing well! We are extremely isolated with almost zero chance of contracting the virus . . . until I went to KC for a regular checkup. Guess what I picked up at the doctor's office? Yep. You guessed it.

But my case was extremely mild. I thought I had a mild head cold for three days. Then I was well. Except for ZERO energy. That really surprised me. It took another week before I could do anything. I gave it to Barb. She had it much worse, like a medium case of the flu for a week. After that she went through the no energy phase as well.

We were lucky. But all is well now.

Neanderman, it is my third winter at the new place and Barb's second. We love it.
--Bill
You are what you write.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Bill, sorry to hear that you and Barb got 'bit,' but glad to know that you both came through it!

I cleaned up the Dual Drive's apron yesterday evening, and I dream of getting her back together, but she needs a new home, which I know you understand is a whole other project!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
RSG

Post by RSG »

Glad to see you are active and well Bill! When you have time we'd love to see pics of the view you've cleared out on the mountain :wink:
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

pete wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:19 pm I'd suggest cutting those excess threads off flush with the nut. It's not if those threads are going to get buggered up, only how long until they do Bill. It will save you some time and frustration later trying to straighten the stud or even dressing the threads so you can do any future disassembly. Equipment almost always uses bolts everywhere on the exterior instead of studs simply because the bolt heads are barely above the surface and are a lot more durable against damage. Even then in some high wear points, the area the bolt head fits into is purposely recessed so the surrounding metal helps protect the bolt heads from damage or abrasion. The heavy guards used on Cat blade tilt cylinders are one example of that.
Good idea. In the Stationary Steam Industry we were told that code is 2 threads showing above the nut, anything else is too much.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

pete and LouStule--

Thank you both for the advice. If it breaks, I will do it correctly next time.

I have been using the Komatsu skid steer extensively; heavy work deep in the forest. Today was clean and grease day for the skid steer and backhoe. I power washed both, put them in the garage . . . and decided to grease them tomorrow!

--Bill
You are what you write.