Toolbox drawer dividers

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: Toolbox drawer dividers

Post by whateg0 »

SteveM wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:17 pm While shopping at Menards, saw those little bins that hang on a rack on the wall and thought I could use those.
PartsBins.jpg
I might have to take a drawer out and bring it to the store to size them up.

Steve
If you are going to go with plastic bins, I use these. Good assortment of sizes and made just for this.

https://www.schallercorporation.com/plastic-boxes/
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

whateg0 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:07 pm If you are going to go with plastic bins, I use these. Good assortment of sizes and made just for this.
https://www.schallercorporation.com/plastic-boxes/
Not sure I want to do an entire box with those (would get pretty expensive), and I don't think they are heavy enough for the larger drawers, but my machinist tools are in a box with a lot of thin drawers and I can see these working really well for that.

Steve
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Several decades ago I made some cheap plywood dividers for my tool chest with intentions that it would be a temporary measure until I had time to "do it right". Well, those temporary dividers are still there and I guess they will remain until I'm gone. They have done the job just fine.
Ted
IMG_20211002_165525289.jpg
IMG_20211002_165542466.jpg
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

shootnride wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:59 pm Several decades ago I made some cheap plywood dividers for my tool chest with intentions that it would be a temporary measure until I had time to "do it right". Well, those temporary dividers are still there and I guess they will remain until I'm gone. They have done the job just fine.
Nice.

How did you attach the cross pieces?

Are the sides grooved or just glue and screw?

Steve
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

The side and end pieces are dado'd and the dividers just slide into the dados. The small dividers in the socket drawer are just a tight slide-in fit. They should also be in dados, but probably never will be.

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Those socket compartments are useful. Most socket organizers take up much more drawer space.

Steve