Drilling small holes

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

shootnride

Re: Drilling small holes

Post by shootnride »

Joe Pieczyniski has a good video on machining very small diameter parts in the lathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg6ug0FDhos

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Re: Drilling small holes

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

Harold_V wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:58 pm
Conrad_R_Hoffman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:41 pm Just recently I needed some small holes and bought some 0.0085" cobalt drill bits. They were far easier to use than I would have thought and I have little fear of going smaller, if necessary. No doubt I'd snap carbide instantly.
Wow! That's really impressive! The machine must have exceptional alignment, headstock to tailstock. Spells instant death for fragile cutters.

What speeds are at your disposal? Such a tiny drill would easily tolerate more than 10,000 rpm.

H
We keep our HLV fairly well aligned, but nothing NASA-like. No doubt more RPM would be nice but I bet I did them at 2000 or close. I thought it would be a disaster but was amazed at how easy it was.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."