Stuart Turner Casting Kits Skimping on Material

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: Stuart Turner Casting Kits Skimping on Material

Post by whateg0 »

gwrdriver wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:23 pm
whateg0 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:41 pmI would call them though and ask them to send you an extra length for the inconvenience.
I can hear that phone conversation now . . . .

Hello Stuart Turners?
Yes would you kindly send someone out to the shed for a short length of 5/32" bright steel.
Have them pack it up, label it, and ship it to me right away,
What? Well for the inconvenience you've caused me of course.
OK then, but I really don't think it's necessary to bring my parentage into this.
Hello? Hello?
Don't bother then. I don't care.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Very Funny GWR !
One of the problems with 'Industry" is the drive to eliminate waste and sometimes it's a lack of knowledge of machining techniques .
I was a Manufacturing Engineer in my former life and can't tell you how many times I had to "retrain" purchasing agents
who would buy only what the "Print called for" . For instance , Holding a 2 inch rod 8 inches long means only one chucking
when your part is 6 1/2" , but when you get 6 3/4 " for raw material , it takes two times chucking and accurate length may become a challenge.
The above is a simple illustration , but the Bean Counters do not understand processes unless it is explained to them. No doubt, new owners may think they are saving $$$ ..or I should say Pounds Sterling
Rich
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Rich_Carlstedt wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:41 pm [snip] and sometimes it's a lack of knowledge of machining techniques .
Yep! And not just purchasing agents.

Many years ago, while Sperry Utah was in the R&D stage of the helmet gunsight for helicopters, I bid on multiple pieces of formed 1/2" 6061-T6 aluminum tubing. The offsets of the part were held to ± .005".

I was successful in getting the bid, but in a conversation with the buyer he commented that he had one bid for what I recall to be about $1.75 each, which was about the value of the anodizing after the part was formed. He chuckled and said he figured the individual quoting figured it was a piece of conduit that ran up the side of a building.

Makes a guy wonder just how many individuals are not qualified for the job they hold. Makes one shudder to think it may be the family's doctor.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
neanderman

Lathe collets: was Re: Stuart Turner Casting Kits Skimping

Post by neanderman »

Thanks for the discussion of lathe collets.

I've been mulling this for a while, and have been leaning toward an ER 32 or 40. Shars has an MT 4, drawbar threaded, chuck that looks pretty good.

Any thoughts?

TIA!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Harold_V wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:58 am
Rich_Carlstedt wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:41 pm [snip] and sometimes it's a lack of knowledge of machining techniques .
Makes a guy wonder just how many individuals are not qualified for the job they hold. Makes one shudder to think it may be the family's doctor.

H
Right!?
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

pete

Post by pete »

ER collets on a lathe Ed? I'd specifically make a point of not using one with a MT that fit's the lathes head stock taper for a couple of reasons. It loses your ability of that valuable hollow spindle for longer work so everything your turning has to be short and cut to it's rough size first instead of just parted off or doing any end work on longer shafting. Plus your then locked into whatever combined run out the lathe taper, collet chucks MT, it's chuck taper run out and then any collet run out there is with no easy way of dialing any of that out. This is a ER 32 but there's also the 40 size available, https://littlemachineshop.com/products/ ... -421559299 As is it isn't capable of being adjusted for run out, but it's not tough to drill, tap the O.D. similar to how the 3 & 6 jaw set true chucks work. Since it's set up like any plain back chuck then it can be used like one no matter what your spindle mount is with the addition of a back plate. Today even most of the cheaper off shore 3 jaw chucks seem to have tolerable run outs of 3-4 thou. So if you can't do a lot better than that with collets there's not much reason to use them. That's why I think having a method of adjustment to get almost zero run out is the better idea. Even more so when your not paying the big bucks for a collet chuck and collets without any guarantee of there accuracy.
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

Rich_Carlstedt wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:41 pm Very Funny GWR !
One of the problems with 'Industry" is the drive to eliminate waste and sometimes it's a lack of knowledge of machining techniques .
I was a Manufacturing Engineer in my former life and can't tell you how many times I had to "retrain" purchasing agents
who would buy only what the "Print called for" . For instance , Holding a 2 inch rod 8 inches long means only one chucking
when your part is 6 1/2" , but when you get 6 3/4 " for raw material , it takes two times chucking and accurate length may become a challenge.
The above is a simple illustration , but the Bean Counters do not understand processes unless it is explained to them. No doubt, new owners may think they are saving $$$ ..or I should say Pounds Sterling
Rich
I believe this is what is happening with S.T. They may be saving a fraction of material but are angering long time customers like me.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

pete wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:35 pm ER collets on a lathe Ed? I'd specifically make a point of not using one with a MT that fit's the lathes head stock taper for a couple of reasons.
Thanks for the reply, Pete. All good points.
Last edited by neanderman on Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

TomB

Post by TomB »

Slightly off topic -- but curiosity always motivates me. I saw the company name, Stuart Turner, and thought that's the company name on my old wood lathe and jig saw. I just went down to the shop and saw that my old tools were Walker Turner. Anybody know if there was a some historical connection between the company names?
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

At a glance, I would say no relation.
Screenshot_20211002-220824_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211002-220804_Chrome.jpg
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

gwrdriver wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:23 pm
whateg0 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:41 pmI would call them though and ask them to send you an extra length for the inconvenience.
I can hear that phone conversation now . . . .

Hello Stuart Turners?
Yes would you kindly send someone out to the shed for a short length of 5/32" bright steel.
Have them pack it up, label it, and ship it to me right away,
What? Well for the inconvenience you've caused me of course.
OK then, but I really don't think it's necessary to bring my parentage into this.
Hello? Hello?
This makes for an amusing scenario but to tell you the truth...if I did request some additional stock, most likely they would comply. Stuart Turner customer service still appears to be one thing they haven't skimped on yet.