Drilling Through Holes on the Mill

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Kay_B

Re: Drilling Through Holes on the Mill

Post by Kay_B »

Rick wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:10 pm Depends on the part: if its not to critical or some material that isn't very flat to start with like Cold Rolled flat bar, then plywood or whatever sacrificial material I can find.
Semi critical or heavy machine cuts will be required: I will use some pieces of alum bar stock
Very critical: 123 blocks in strategic positions and the clamps right above the 123 blocks, this depends on thickness of the part and type of operation needed. This would usually be ground plate parts.

As far as drilling small parts in the vise then I would use soft jaws, I usually make a batch of soft jaws when I make them so I have some some ready to go or just re-machine used ones.
My father has an electric drilling machine. The base of the machine is lattice. But these are not rods, but vertically installed metal plates and I try to place the area where you need to make a hole between the plates. That is, even if the drill goes all the way through the metal, it does not touch the base. Stanov is old, I don't even know who the manufacturer of the machine is and where he is from.