Another dumb INVERTER question

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Steggy

Re: Another dumb INVERTER question

Post by Steggy »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:11 am if you think that any type of speed reduction (like the variator) is not a torque increaser...you should stop and think again.
That is correct. In any constant-horsepower situation, RPM and torque are inversely and exactly proportional. As some wiseguy once noted, use enough gears and you can get a washing machine motor to move a freight train—very slowly. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
wally318

Post by wally318 »

Well I took to heart what you all were saying.
To tell the truth that was my opinion of dropping motor rpms vs lost Hp/torque all along.
Just wanted to get some extra input to see if I was missing something.
I even went through the trouble of getting ahold of a fellow in the UK that submitted
a Chipmaster restoration with a 3 phase motor and inverter into MEW magazine about 10 yrs ago.
His info didn't inspire much confidence especially when I sent another email asking
what was the largest dia. turned/lowest rpm turning and heaviest cuts taken. Met
with no response so far.
So at first I was going to take apart the variator and reface the drive cones/clean up
replace any worn bearings. But I saw a video of a fellow who did just that and did a
mock test run with the variator on his lathe cross slide and using a 3 jaw to turn either the
input or output shaft. It didn't sound much quieter than mine.
So I thought I might be wasting my time.
I looked at putting a Reeves type variable speed into the lathe, but from what I've seen
on our Clausing drill press at work it gets quite loud when you crank it up to 2000 rpm.
So I came up with my own game plan.
I won't go any further here. Stay tuned on the lathe section.
I'll start with the before pics first and work into the finished result.
christina12

Post by christina12 »

I have a 5700 (running) watt generator. After years of flawless service the engine now cranks easily but cuts off after a few minutes (no load). I crank it once a month and change the gas every year. I have checked for water in carb, fuel flow/filter, spark plug. It lasted 40 minutes into the Hurricane Sally power outage and hasn't run more than 5 min. since then. I live WAY out in the country and have no idea who works on these things so any ideas on what else to look for would be helpful. Help would be appreciated or should I go for these? Thank you!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Spark...fuel ..air...gotta be one of them

However.. does it have a hydraulic exhaust valve lifter that makes it easy to start?

I once had a Kohler engine that had this...and it would start and run for a while then just stop.

Internal hydraulic system would lift the exhaust valve to make it easy to start...and cause the engine to stop.

System was not supposed to work once engine was running.. but guess what

If not that...would look at ignition coil / magneto...have seen where they fail when hot. Maybe when it stops...pull the plug and ground it on the case and look for spark.

Have to assume carb is correct or would not run.. unless there is something in the tank causing fuel blockage after a lot of vibration. Float bowl clean?

Just process of elimination and not too many variables

ah...and there may be an oil level sensor that will shut off the ignition if it sees 'too low' oil condition
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Christina12:
If your present troublesome generator is a Harbor Freight unit like mine, you probably should consider replacing it with a higher quality unit like the Yamaha one you referenced, or a Honda unit. Otherwise, the suggestions above are good for troubleshooting.

I used a portable Honda inverter/generator in heavy service while Maintenance Manager of the Seattle Monorail System. It was our portable power when servicing the 2 miles of beams and power rails above Seattle's streets. Never missed a beat, and was delightfully quiet, compared to other units. When it is time to replace our emergency home generator (a H.F. unit), I will get a known higher quality inverter unit like the Honda or Yamaha ones.
RussN
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

NP317 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:36 amyou probably should consider replacing it with a higher quality unit like the Yamaha one you referenced, or a Honda unit.
Carroll Smith, in one of his books ("prepare to win", "tune to win", "engineer to win") said:
Honda makes generators.
Everyone else makes junk.

... and that was 45 years ago!

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

do not disagree about Honda generators, however my Generac has been running for more than a decade with nothing more than service...and I do live out in the boonies and having the power go off for a couple of days is not unusual....
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:55 am Spark...fuel ..air...gotta be one of them

And then there’s the fuel filter... :D
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

SteveM wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:34 pmCarroll Smith, in one of his books ("prepare to win", "tune to win", "engineer to win") said:
Honda makes generators.
Everyone else makes junk.

... and that was 45 years ago!

I guess Mr. Smith wasn't familiar with Generac units. They would be my first choice, followed by Honda.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

uh....doesn't 'fuel filter' fall into the category of 'fuel'.... :mrgreen:

or am i missing something??
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:40 pm I guess Mr. Smith wasn't familiar with Generac units. They would be my first choice, followed by Honda.
While Generac's big generators are top notch, they brand garbage generators made by others.

I had one and they denied knowing anything about it, like a disowned child.

I think this was more pertaining to the portable generators race teams would be using.

Steve
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:56 pm uh....doesn't 'fuel filter' fall into the category of 'fuel'.... :mrgreen:

or am i missing something??

You'd be amazed how many times I've gotten “dead” engines running by replacing the fuel filter that hadn't been touched since when Elvis joined the Army. Too often, mention of “fuel” doesn't seem to make people think in terms of the entire fuel delivery system, not just the fuel tank, fuel pump (if present) and carburetor.