What kind of tap set???

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pete

Re: What kind of tap set???

Post by pete »

Your getting into mechanical engineering with your questions. Thread strength has multiple factors that affect there load ratings. I'd suggest you start here for some ball park numbers. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/us-b ... _2066.html Threaded fasteners are a whole lot stronger than most realize. You could probably load that shelf to total failure with a single 3B 1/2" bolt never mind 4 of them. That websites numbers are only good for known high quality fasteners. And you sure as hell won't be getting that from any big box store. If strength is important enough to actually need engineering numbers I only buy from a good industrial supplier, I want American made and at least grade 8 fasteners. While stainless should still be more than ample, I only chose that material for load bearing when either corrosion resistance and/or aesthetics is required. On average stainless will be the weaker choice over any well made steel alloy bolt. It's still a wooden shelf so that wood is always going to be your weak link.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I would purchase standard threaded rod. Stainless nuts if you feel so inclined.

I would then put the rod inside of some cut to length tubing if that is a look that you want. Stainless tubing is also available...or maybe brass chrome plated.

Before it is over with all you will need is imagination and a gack saw.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
B Mann

Post by B Mann »

Pete and Bill Both good ideas. Surprised me on the strength of bolts. My engine stand will hold up a loaded big block with 4-7/16" bolts. 800 lbs pretty easy. Basically only 2 bolts are holding the engine under expansion.

The stainless tubing to cover the threaded rod is a great idea too... If you are going for a nice look.
mcanaedi

Post by mcanaedi »

The oak board is probably near 100 lbs. It feels heavier but the internet says 3.6 lbs per lb. My dear uncle, the metal wiz is trying to get me to just use threaded steel and cover it up. It is purely a design thing. The kitchen has a 3 ton soap stone wood fired bake oven and cook tops. The theme in kitchen is stainless. This is a nice transition / blend focal point between the primitive and new modern look. I only need 3-5 inches of threads on each end. I could pay the machine shop to do it but then I would not learn. I have studied cutting, cleaning cuts, polishing, drilling, threading....so yeah I ask for it in a big way but I will be able to take what I learn and do so much given that I am a wood guy and need some education on metals. Spoke to Lenox rep yesterday on proper blade for Bauer Harbor Freight portable band saw I bought. The rods will not be coated. At this point I am trying to figure out which H value to use on threads. If anything I will probably polish out the threads exposed below the board so that I will get the mirror finish on all metal. My concern last night was getting the thread fit too tight where it would be a nuisance threading the rods by myself. I have scaffolding to prop the board for install. I added a couple pictures. Nice for everyone to see things.
Attachments
Shelf
Shelf
Stove
Stove
mcanaedi

Post by mcanaedi »

Pete that is interesting that fine thread is stronger than coarse. Would not have thought that. My plan is to use a threaded collar just above the board to keep it from warping with the stove. Thanks for everyone's responses. I looked at stainless nuts. Really wanted square nuts. Just decided to make my own. We will see how well that goes!
Last edited by mcanaedi on Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
B Mann

Post by B Mann »

1/2" threaded rod will be fine. Just an FYI on threading. Bolts (and threaded rod if I am correct) have a rolled thread. They are not cut. Which makes them stronger than a cut thread. Metal is not removed when threads are made. Good luck with the project and let us know what you do.

PS Was a little freaked when I thought you were going to hang a 3 ton stove from the ceiling by threaded rod!!!!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

you can get brass rod of various diameter intended for hanging curtains...or use PVC pipe and paint it a unique color....
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

So what is of interest is what is in the ceiling to hold all of this up. The rods shelving will doubtlessly hold up almost anything; but will the overhead stay up!?
pete

Post by pete »

Well with stainless rod and the same for the nuts I think I'd want a fairly loose fit between the two threads. Stainless on stainless has a real bad habit of galling enough to lock up the threads. I also think I'd use some copper based anti seize during assembly and wipe it off any exposed threads. Depending on what machine tools you have, making unhardened square decorative nuts wouldn't be too tough. I think I'd design for at least 5-8 full threads in the nuts so there still stronger than the material itself. Doubtful you'll ever come close to what the assembly could take for weight, and like others have said, it depends on the ceiling structure you already have for the maximum load limit.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Never seeze. Use never seeze when you put it together