Bearing issue?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Bearing issue?

Post by Bill Shields »

Put a face load on the spindle with the tail stock and see if the clicking noise is still there.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Bill Shields wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:10 pm Put a face load on the spindle with the tail stock and see if the clicking noise is still there.
Tomorrow. :)
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Patio

Post by Patio »

You could put an indicator on the carriage and the compound, to be able to watch for movement, it could help eliminate some areas of concern.
Pat
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

curtis cutter wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:36 pm
Bill Shields wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:10 pm Put a face load on the spindle with the tail stock and see if the clicking noise is still there.
Tomorrow. :)
No change with the face load. Continues slight metallic "click".

Pat, I put a dial indicator on three points with minimal movement found.
Gregg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Does the click occur at any specific orientation of the spindle?

Unless the bearing was really bad would not expect an dictator to see much as a result.

Usually when a bearing is that bad you are into a steady grinding sound.

Assume that all gearing and belts are stationary during the test.

I ask because my chinese lathe has a click that is associated with the motor rotation...something related to the centrifugal switch inside...
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

It is a very light click and I hear no "rumble" as I am familiar with with a bad race of ball.I just replaced the front wheel bearing on my 2011 Camry yesterday due to the telltale rumble after it did a run to Colorado and back two weeks ago.

The click noise is not noticeable when the machine is running due to other noises. When I take the cover off the gearbox and shift it into a neutral position only the output shaft rotates when the chuck is rotated so the motor and any other drive or driven parts are not involved.

I am considering draining the gearbox and then with the cover off rotating the spindle by hand to see if the sound changes. I have ordered a replacement bearing (just in case) and I am going to count the balls it contains and see if that relates to the click when rotating. I guess I will have to do some math to figure out the rate at which the balls would pass a point on the inner and outer races based upon the dimensions of the bearing.
Gregg
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

It just occurred to me that it may just be the pinions in the chuck and that may explain why there are no other symptoms. At hand speed they may rise and fall ever so slightly as the chuck rotates. I will wrap them with a rubber band and see if that solves that noise.

If it does then I continue with Harold's suggestion in regard to the materials being turned.
Gregg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I would not think that the noise you are hearing is cause of the surface finish problems based on what you are describing and personal experience.

CRS is really difficult to get a good finish on with a turning tool.

Can you take the chuck off and rotate the spindle?

Food for thought. If you do decide to take the spindle out it may be worth your while to change all the bearings.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Update, Sitting around the house with a cold for three days and I finally got out to the shop.

When the cover was off the noise was definitely coming from the bearing at the chuck end. I decided to take the shaft out to examine the bearing and the noise was simply a light click for the roller cage. All four bearing surfaces looked good.

Setting the bearing preload took a while though. I have no specs on the adjustment so I just barely snugged it up and put the lock nut on and rotated it by hand. Took three tries before I got it to roll with only a slight resistance.

When I finally get to town I will get some other materials to turn.
Gregg
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Chased my tail for weeks identifying noise in headstock and vibration, found my magnet in headstock covered in metal chips.
Found one of the counter shaft bearings on the way out.
Replaced and all good.
pete

Post by pete »

Any noise from roller type bearings always makes me a bit nervous. But to be sure I'd also set an indicator on the bare spindle nose and try gently prying upwards with a wood 2" x 4" to see what your clearance numbers are. Then do the same pushing the spindle back and forth to check it's end play. All the lathe spindle bearing preload adjustments I've seen recommended will usually mention a hard hand spin of the lathe chuck without the drive belts attached and you should see one half to a full rotation before it stops. After that checking the bearing temperatures with your hand while running at higher speeds for 20-30 minutes will tell you if there slightly too tight. I've seen a whole lot of very expensive and really large new bearings checked in the mining industry using nothing more sophisticated than an educated hand for the temperatures there running at.