New Table for the Avey: More Photos

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Hasler

New Table for the Avey: More Photos

Post by John Hasler »

The Burgmaster table is installed on the Avey and working very well though not quite finished. The improvement over the little Grizzly table is huge. No more flexing, wiggling, and bending. No more stiff spots in the travel. No more having to keep the gibs so tight my hands wear out cranking the tiny handwheels. Dials I can actually see (and actually trust). No more erractic backlash (in fact, no backlash at all!)

Still needs a bit more paint and a few other details such as the correct roll pin in the X handwheel in place of the cotter pin in it now. It also needs to be trammed, though it's now only a few thou off. I still intend to add the air cylinder "helpers" to the knee, though it turns out that the motor I have on there can still lift it (I did not think that it was going to be able to). A future project is to replace that motor with a proper servo. If I can then kluge up some sort of DRO for the Z axis I may disable the quill (currently the weak point of the machine) entirely by bracing it to the frame.

Long term: CNC, since with zero backlash this table is suitable (the Burgmaster it came from was CNC, or at least NC).

Photos:
table_on_its_way.jpg
Table top on its way
without_old_table.jpg
Assembled
with_old_table_better.jpg
Comparison of old and new
closeup.jpg
Yes, I *did* drill holes in the table
dial.jpg
One of the dials