Is this any good for way oil?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Re: Is this any good for way oil?

Post by SteveM »

Hey, Lou,

Edit your profile and put in your location.

Maybe someone can go in with you on a gallon.

Steve
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Looks,like what you bought is commonly used in newer model automobiles - for modern transmissions. key words on the label of the bottle are “extreme pressure” lubricant. This means the oil contains EP additives that can have a corrosive effect on bearing surfaces - called “polishing wear”. This causes excessive tooth wear on gears for example.

See the link below for more good stuff on EP oils.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Re ... -additives

maybe, maybe, mix small quantities in your cutting oil to use it up. Otherwise, write off the .25Cents and throw the oil away in the local toxic recycle dump... :]

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:05 am For most recent vintage machine tools, Vactra #2 or similar for horizontal slideways and Vactra #4 or similar for vertical slideways works well.
My comment was intended for Armscor1, who wrote that he can't get those products in the Philippines.

Here in Portugal, when I asked about slideway oils they looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language [which of course, I was].
I bought by mail order from the UK.