price of mild steel in Europe today

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

price of mild steel in Europe today

Post by liveaboard »

0.80 eurocents / kilo + tax.
I bought 45 kilos 30x30mm black square rod for 44 euros [with tax], which is about 50 US cents per pound.

This is up about 20% since last year.

Box of 10, 8.5mm [German] cobalt drill bits 10 euros, or 90 US cents each [+ tax].
John Hasler

Re: price of mild steel in Europe today

Post by John Hasler »

About the same here from Speedy Metals.
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

Post by ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES »

Here in Ohio it's about 75 to 85 a pound depending on grade of Steel so your stuff over there in Germany sounds pretty affordable that's what they usually charge for cut-offs 50 cents a pound
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

This was for fairly ugly hot rolled steel, new but full lengths only.
Tube costs 30-50% more.
This shop only sells construction grade steel; for other material like alloy, drawn, cold rolled, I have to travel a long way, and price is 3x more.
At the nearby scrapyard, price for rusty cut pieces is the same as for new steel from the steelyard.
Sometimes, I don't want to buy 18' lengths, like for 5" solid rod.
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

I just purchased a piece of 4140 round stock, 2.88 OD x 11" and it cost me $1.16/pound including tax and shipping. I really don't know if that's a reasonable buy or not, it was just the best I could find at the time for what I needed. I'd really like to know if others here are aware of a source for better pricing.
Thanks
Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

shootnride wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:00 am I just purchased a piece of 4140 round stock, 2.88 OD x 11" and it cost me $1.16/pound including tax and shipping. I really don't know if that's a reasonable buy or not,
In my opinion, that was a bargain. It isn't uncommon to pay $1/pound for mild steel, and that doesn't include a cutting charge, shipping, or tax.

I was astounded at the varying prices I was quoted when I was in the market for a piece of Stressproof. I was quoted as high as $600 for a piece I ended up buying for under $100, including shipping. There was no tax, as it was purchased from a tax free source.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.