Mt2 tooling adapter?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

leeko

Mt2 tooling adapter?

Post by leeko »

Hi all,
I have a hardinge TM with a Bridgeport m-head bolted on. The m-head has a mt2 spindle with a 3/8-16 drawbar. There seems to be a fair amount of mt2 tooling available, but the majority has an m10 threaded end.

I do see the occasional 3/8-16 mt2 piece, but they tend to be 2-3x the cost of the metric import tooling. Quality issues aside, is there any way to adapt the m10 tooling to the (captive) 3/8 drawbar?

Thanks

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by leeko on Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Evans

Re: Mt2 tooling adapter?

Post by John Evans »

IF and a big if ! If the metric collet is not to hard on the threaded end heli coil it to the 3/8th thread.
www.chaski.com
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Is there a way to un-captive the drawbar? How is it retained?
leeko

Post by leeko »

Yes, it can be undone by removing a set screw and (I think) unscrewing a retaining nut. But, it's a few extra steps compared with a regular drawbar, so I'd prefer not to switch back and forth between drawbars. I do that on my Van Norman to switch between nmtb 50 and cat 50, but it's a simple (non-captive) drawbar on that one.

The helicoil is a great idea, thanks!

Lee

John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Lee :Another thought "Timesavers" style inserts they have thinner wall than even thin wall Keenserts. 10MM threaded end when drilled .375 for heli-coil might be a bit shallow on threads for the Heli-coil. Try one and see I recon.
www.chaski.com
leeko

Post by leeko »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give the timesavers a go once I have some tooling in hand

Lee

shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

leeko wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:01 pm I do see the occasional 3/8-16 mt2 piece, but they tend to be 2-3x the cost of the metric import tooling.
Why not just sell your present 3/8-16 tooling and convert to metric draw bar and tooling if your 3/8-16 tooling is worth that much and so difficult to find?
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Hah, I have you all beat. I need 3 different drawbars for the Producto-Matic Horiz Mill. 5/8-11 for the #40 NMTB holders, M16x2 for the metric #40 holders and the 7/16-20 cut on the end of a 5/8 rod for the #40 to R8 Adapter. Oh and there is a slide on spacer for the NMTB drawbar for the non-NMTB holders. Fortunately they are not attached and slip into the drawbar holder located nearby.
This in addition to the 3 different sized Wheelcutter arbors.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
spro

Post by spro »

The MT #2 and the B &S #7 offshore collets were a nightmare ready to happen. The ones I bought, were described as 3/8" x 16 . What they did was take M 10 collets and run a 3/8 x 16 tap thru them. They are loose on the original drawbars which means they will ruin those those threads. The collet-eject feature relies on those threads so it fails. Extraction means disassembling top of the head or pounding on the ruined drawbar. So people tap on, hammer on, the original drawbar and permanently alter the precision quill bearings.
spro

Post by spro »

When I looked inside the collets' thread, disappointment. I hoped it would be better than that. 10mm is near .400" while everyone knows 3/8 is .375. So , by tapping the collets, neither drawbar is correct.
spro

Post by spro »

The lead is different, so every collet is a die towards screwing our original drawbar . Scopes all over and nobody shows the internal threads and the markings and the thrashing of one thread upon another.