Eyeglass worn with mask fog getter ridder of-er

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

morsetaper2

Re: Eyeglass worn with mask fog getter ridder of-er

Post by morsetaper2 »

A quick & EZ fix for fogging glasses w/ a mask is to wipe a film of soap on your glasses. I just take a drop of clear liquid soap, rub between two fingers, apply the soap to both sides of each lenses. Then remove any excess/dry w/ lense cloth or kleenex tissue. I'm good for the day. If all you have is bar soap, just wet your fingers and rub them on the soap bar.

Learned that from back when I raced motorcycles in the rain, to prevent my helmets face shield from fogging up.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

SteveM wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:48 am As the TV lawyers would say:
"If your glasses are fogging up while you are wearing a mask, you may be entitled to condensation".
Excuse me while I go clean off my keyboard !! :lol:
That's a good one Steve
www.chaski.com
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

I personally hate wearing a mask for several reasons not the least for foggy glasses. But, I feel is my personal responsibility to help protect my fellow man. For the common good Ya know ! Over rides my personal desires and feelings. OK I'm done ,that's my view point ,do as your conscious dictates.
www.chaski.com
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Most people seem to be wearing "surgical" masks [here anyway]. They don't seal on the face at all.
I suppose exhaled droplets might get caught in the fabric while some air goes through and some goes around. But they seem pretty useless to me.
BUT; you can wear one all day with little discomfort, and those working in public spaces have to do that.
TomB

Post by TomB »

liveaboard wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:01 pm Most people seem to be wearing "surgical" masks [here anyway]. They don't seal on the face at all. ....
I have wondered about the effectiveness of surgical masks but still I wear one whenever I am off my property. What I think might be helping their effectiveness is that they turn the virus particles 90 degrees as they move from in front of my mouth and nose to escaping through my eyebrows or sideburns. A particle floating in air will probably lose most of it momentum when doing the90 degree turn. Thats why we have to be so careful about turns when hooking up or shop vacuum systems.
On another related topic 'What can glasses from fogging' I remember that when I was young and use to SCUBA dive all the time I always kept a small slice of raw potato in my kit. Rub that on the inside of the mask and it stopped all fogging. It would however wash off in either fresh or salt water with just a quick swish.

Tom B
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I've had to wear a mask much of the week visiting a customer where their policy is to do so. Fortunately I was able to remove it once everybody was in their seats at least 6 ft away from me and each other. But while I was wearing it, the device worked great. It still needs a little tweaking to stay on the chin and not get pulled too far under. I have a better design now that is more aesthetically appealing, as if that matters. I guess I didn't take a picture of it yet, but here's the model of it.

Dave
Attachments
20200729_015749.jpg
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

I definitely need to try build something like this.
Over here (south Africa) our government has become a bit tyrannical over the pandemic and we can get arrested for not wearing a mask in public so every trip to the ship for me has me putting glasses on to read simmering then taking them off to let the fog evaporate. It is driving me crazy.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

Every time I put on my mask to snorkel I wipe an anti-fog liquid on each lens and rinse off the excess in the water where I will dive. Available at any dive shop and pretty cheap as it only takes less than a drop for each lens. Link for reference.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Spo ... s/13277741