Min-Its center finder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Min-Its center finder

Post by SteveM »

Here's another one of the oddball tools I inherited from my dad, a Min-Its center finder.

The instructions bill it as a tool for jig boring.

Not sure how old it is, but the box has a ZIP code, so it's post 1966.

The center pin wobbles, while the side arm can be locked in place. The whole unit is spring loaded from the shaft that goes into the chuck.

You put the center pin in your punch mark and with an indicator on the locking arm, you rotate the spindle. It measures how much the center pin wobbles.

I guess its an early form of the blake coax indicator.

Steve
Attachments
20200722_213535.jpg
20200722_213607.jpg
20200722_213651.jpg
10KPete

Re: Min-Its center finder

Post by 10KPete »

That is a really great idea! All the bits in one tool, only a few seconds to put in and go!
Wow.

Pete
Just tryin'
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

AND it is short, too. Doesn't take up much 'Z' space. The coax indicator I have is 6" from the chuck grip to the end of the shortest probe. It also has a centerpunch probe, but I have never used it.
Good find. Does it have a manufacturer name?
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

earlgo wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:52 am AND it is short, too. Doesn't take up much 'Z' space.
Yes, on the drill press, I don't have a Z adjustment, just the quill, so the Blake isn't any use because when I stick the drill in, it won't reach.
earlgo wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:52 am Good find. Does it have a manufacturer name?
--earlgo
The box just says "Min-Its center finder" and the address.
20200722_221334.jpg
The address is a one-bedroom single-family house in a residential neighborhood, so maybe someone was making these in his garage?

The story just got more interesting.

Steve
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

earlgo wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:52 am AND it is short, too. Doesn't take up much 'Z' space. The coax indicator I have is 6" from the chuck grip to the end of the shortest probe. It also has a centerpunch probe, but I have never used it.
Good find. Does it have a manufacturer name?
--earlgo
Not sure how short it is. If a last word is about 3" long, then it looks like this is about 6" overall too.

Dave
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Neat tool. Looks like about what you do with a piece of bar stock between a center in the ts quill and a punch mark on work in the 4 jaw. Probably better accuracy than a cheap coaxial indicator.

Dave
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Beats the heck out of the one I tried to design. Way too wide.
model Centering indicator
model Centering indicator
Never made this one because it didn't look right. Center post and probe rotate with chuck. Horizontal arm can be stationary and rises and falls with eccentricity. Sort of like the Blake but different. (counterweight on opposite side from DTI)
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

earlgo wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:18 am Beats the heck out of the one I tried to design. Way too wide.
I'd say that's a good design.

If you have more swing room than quill travel, this will work.

Steve
TRX

Post by TRX »

I like earlgo's version too. Not many machines are limited by throat depth; seems like Z is often a problem.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Feel free to stea...um, copy the design. It isn't proprietary by any means. There are 2 versions: 1 with a DI and the other with a DTI.
DI version
DI version
DTI version
DTI version
Yes, there is a complete set of drawings and models made in SolidWorks 2008. They are easily imported into OnShape that is on the Dassault website. The drawings are in .PDF format also if anyone is interested. I didn't make this so the drawings are not shop tested.
--earlgo