Duburring Raw Stock

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

KellyJones

Re: Duburring Raw Stock

Post by KellyJones »

No, I had no special expectations about having my steak "grilled". Was just somewhat surprised. :|

Normally I get my stock from trash bins and hand-me-downs, and had never ordered stock before. I knew what I might be getting.

When I was working as an engineer, it was standard practice for the machinists to deburr each and every surface, and I never observed them deburring raw stock for personal safety. I may have just missed it, or the company order in sufficient quantity that they could get deburred raw stock as a matter of course. I don't know.
Kelly Jones, PE
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
(1856-1950)
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

In regards to raw stock provided by stores (the place where raw material was dispensed in-house) where I worked when I was in training, nothing was deburred. The operator was expected to handle material accordingly. That may be for a good reason, too. Depending on how heavy handed a person is when deburring (like using a belt sander), assuming the stock size is going to be used, and it often is, they can scrap the material be removing too much edge. All depends on how much oversized the material was cut, of course.

I, too, deburr material for storage. I don't like getting cut.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

KellyJones wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:21 pm
When I was working as an engineer, it was standard practice for the machinists to deburr each and every surface, and I never observed them deburring raw stock for personal safety. I may have just missed it, or the company order in sufficient quantity that they could get deburred raw stock as a matter of course. I don't know.
:-) The guy chopping a piece from a 10 or 20 ft stick for you wasn't an engineer, he was some school drop-out in all probability. :-)
...lew...