Duburring Raw Stock

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

KellyJones

Duburring Raw Stock

Post by KellyJones »

Just received an order from a metal supply company. Some (newbie) observations:

1. Shipping took far longer than the junk my wife orders from QVC and the like. Part of this was it took almost a week to process the order internally and ship (at least judging from the email confirmations I received). Perhaps they are understaffed due to Covid precautions.

2. The order was exactly what I ordered (good). but they had neglected to deburr the stock. Sharp enough to cut your fingers had I not been careful unwrapping it. Do you think this is just a cost avoidance measure, or is there some legitimate reason some customers do not want stock deburred?

3. I noticed the deburr tool worked quite well in on direction, but not worth a hoot in the other. Careful inspection revealed the deburr blade is not symmetric (as I had assumed) and definitely has a cutting side and a non-cutting side.

Learn something new every day...
Kelly Jones, PE
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
(1856-1950)
NP317

Re: Duburring Raw Stock

Post by NP317 »

Generally, deburring blades for steel are asymmetrical to cut properly. Unidirectional.
Blades for brass, cooper alloys and plastics are symmetrical. Bidirectional.

And I've seldom received stock materials that have been deburred.
RussN
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Most stock I have gotten from metal suppliers has not been deburred.

After a few painful lessons, whenever I make a cut, I deburr both pieces; the one I am going to use and the one I put back on the rack - it really saves a lot of blood shed!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

RussH reminded me that my habit is also to deburr any metal stock I'm using before it hits the storage racks.
RussN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

KellyJones wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:14 pm Just received an order from a metal supply company. Some (newbie) observations:

1. Shipping took far longer than the junk my wife orders from QVC and the like. Part of this was it took almost a week to process the order internally and ship (at least judging from the email confirmations I received). Perhaps they are understaffed due to Covid precautions.
Sounds normal to me.
2. The order was exactly what I ordered (good). but they had neglected to deburr the stock. Sharp enough to cut your fingers had I not been careful unwrapping it. Do you think this is just a cost avoidance measure, or is there some legitimate reason some customers do not want stock deburred?
Also sounds normal to me. Deburring is labor that would add to the cost, which most customers avoid. It's no different than ordering random lengths from a steel house.

You should always assume you are getting material that has not been deburred when you unwrap it. I wear leather-palmed gloves when I unbundle material.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Agreed. I buy a lot of "structural steel" for my projects. When I don't get full 20' lengths, they cut it to the length I need using a really big chop saw. It produces an insane razor burr, and there is no discussion or expectation that they would address that. Even if they did, it's unlikely they would deburr in exactly the manner I would want, so it's really extra cost for no benefit. The end is also not necessarily as square as I would like (assuming I even want it square), so as long as the burr can be oriented such that it doesn't interfere with a squaring cut, then it's going in the scrap/trash anyway.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

The steel supplier I deal with will not debur anything as too many customers wanted it deburred "their" way,
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Sheech! It's "raw material". Do you expect the steaks from the butcher to be already grilled? :-)
...lew...
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

After a few painful lessons, whenever I make a cut, I deburr both pieces; the one I am going to use and the one I put back on the rack - it really saves a lot of blood shed!
Is a good practice I learned to do myself. Also every time a part change orientation in the mill vise need to be deburred to guarantee it sits square and clamp solid. So there it goes the belt sander or the three corners scraper.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Or as I've shared before, a Deburring Wheel.
Probably the most frequently used power tool in my shop.
RussN
TRX

Post by TRX »

> direction

Shaviv has both right and left hand scraper blades. The other companies probably to as well.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

My system is simple; I just keep a roll of duct tape in the workbench top drawer.

Just tape up those sliced fingers instead of wasting precious time deburring.