single point boring with a drill press

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

single point boring with a drill press

Post by liveaboard »

I made this tool some years ago to solve a problem; I needed to bore 1" egg shaped holes round to repair my tractor front end loader.
It will bore decently round holes; finish is variable, I usually hone afterwards. Accurate sizing is tough too, usually I just bore it somewhere in the neighborhood then make a press in collar or bushing.

It will cut 26 to 60[ish]mm
In this vid I'm repairing a grease fit pivot, boring a damaged 30mm hole out to 35.
Sorry for the shaky camera work; holding it with one hand while working the machine with the other.
RSG

Re: single point boring with a drill press

Post by RSG »

How ever you can get the job done, nice going!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Ordinarily, my first reaction to hearing boring on a drill press is having the chuck mounting taper walk out from the rotating side forces, but you have taken care of that by having a sleeve in the table take the side loads. Very creative.

I have seen people make boring bars like that for the lathe, where the end of the boring bar goes into a sleeve in the spindle bore which supports it and reduces deflection.

Steve
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Thanks guys;
Obviously, it has limited application; minimum bore is fairly large and has to be a though hole. The bar has to engage with the support hole before the cutter engages, which leaves limited travel, so the maximum cut depth is only around 60mm.
But it was affordable, which is important for me.

I need to make a tool or jig to make it more accurate; one day.
Right now I'm busy making hydraulic parts for the tractor.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

You've just done "line boring" on a simulated Vertical lathe . :-) All that's different is a "steady rest" in place of a tailstock center. :-)
...lew...