Building a bed turret

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Building a bed turret

Post by BadDog »

Yes. Machining good quality cast iron is wonderful, cleaning up after is not. I avoid it if possible. If not, I rig up a 2" shop vac line right at the cutter. Fortunately, CI doesn't produce ribbons, and a shop vac with good flow will generally eliminate most of the mess.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

That is going to be one nice piece of equipment.

Outstanding workmanship!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Sorry, I meant to include that as well, but... Squirrel!

Yes, beautiful work. Your work is always well beyond my typical fare
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

RSG wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:41 am Harold was right, it literally gets in every nook and cranny of your shop! The stuff is so dirty its disgusting!
I did my level best to make you aware. Some folks simply don't understand. Nothing quite as good as having one's own experience to get the message.

Your workmanship is to be admired. Very nicely done, sir!

Ductile iron and gray iron are almost identical. The chief difference, aside from lower sulfur content of ductile, is the way graphite precipitates as the alloy solidifies. Ductile forms spheres, while gray forms flakes. From this you can easily deduct that both of them are horrible to machine, thanks to the free graphite.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
pete

Post by pete »

Looks really good Ron and you've got a lot of hours into those parts already. I'll echo what others have said, very well done. Just think of all those machinists and at least some still do that work machining cast iron parts all day every day. :-)
RSG

Post by RSG »

BadDog wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:36 am I rig up a 2" shop vac line right at the cutter. Fortunately, CI doesn't produce ribbons, and a shop vac with good flow will generally eliminate most of the mess.
Hindsight! I wish now I had of tried that...Harold mentioned that back when I started but I had no idea...LOL
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Thanks for the kind words guy!
RSG

Post by RSG »

pete wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:23 pm Just think of all those machinists and at least some still do that work machining cast iron parts all day every day. :-)
I think I'd quite! LOL
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I worked, briefly, in a couple of shops where cast iron was machined on a regular basis. A real strange jump from my first experience in the aero-space industry. It's hard to understand just how dirty machining can be until you've worked with that material on a regular basis. Unless impeccable hygiene is practiced, everything in the shop becomes black.

The second job I held, machinists rotated every two weeks between day shift and night shift. At the end of one's stint on night shift, each individual did a complete washdown of the machine to which he was assigned, using Stoddard Solvent. That went a long way towards keeping the machines reasonably clean.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RSG

Post by RSG »

I can imagine now Harold! Don't think I could work there for long..LOL. I am almost impressed how well the stuff can migrate though, even on a box of gloves on the shelf in another room with a half inch above it from the ceiling the graphite was thick.

The only plus from this was at the same time I happen to be making props for a short film I'm doing to release this years reels and the surface finish required a graphite finish. All I had to do was take a damp cloth to the top of any surface and I had enough graphite to cover the moon.... :lol: