Emptying Sandblaster

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pollys1dad

Emptying Sandblaster

Post by pollys1dad »

Hi,
Besides getting it upside down,(heavy full of grit.),how could I empty it? I thought perhaps a powerful vaccum cleaner with some suitable Hepa type filter to stop grit getting to the motor. Pot has 50kg of 120 mest Silicon Carbide in it. Would take forever to empty if fire up with compressor
Anyone have ideas?
Thanks.
Attachments
Pressure Pot.jpg
Inspector

Re: Emptying Sandblaster

Post by Inspector »

Air powered vacuum would work. It uses shop air and a Venturi to make the suction. You can make them or buy cheap to very expensive. The hose into a 5 gallon pail with a filter on a second hole in the lid should capture the media without having it go everywhere. They don't have a ton of suction but no moving parts and explosion proof too. They do use a lot of air. Their are American companies that make them like Exair but they are not cheap (cheaper to toss the sandblaster and buy a new one).

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 5FfTfG&s=p

https://www.amazon.com/Pneumatic-Specia ... 49&sr=8-16

Pete
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Man, I think a venturi would take forever to empty. Way faster to just tip the thing over and dump it out.

Dave
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

whateg0 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:02 am Man, I think a venturi would take forever to empty. Way faster to just tip the thing over and dump it out.

Dave
Hi Dave,
I saw this YouTube review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr0YFTBcmbU
Seems to have pretty powerful suction option and he only has a small compressor. I also have a decent much larger 14 cfm dual cylinder with a 90 litre receiver, belt driven compressor.
I just bought the Parkside vacuum gun, best price I could find in UK £29 and item has a metal body, think lot of others just plastic and Parkside kit is made in Germany
Thanks for reply.
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

Inspector wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:45 am Air powered vacuum would work. It uses shop air and a Venturi to make the suction. You can make them or buy cheap to very expensive. The hose into a 5 gallon pail with a filter on a second hole in the lid should capture the media without having it go everywhere. They don't have a ton of suction but no moving parts and explosion proof too. They do use a lot of air. Their are American companies that make them like Exair but they are not cheap (cheaper to toss the sandblaster and buy a new one).

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 5FfTfG&s=p

https://www.amazon.com/Pneumatic-Specia ... 49&sr=8-16

Pete
Hey Pete,
Thanks for the lead, just bought a Parkside vacuum gun, see my reply to Dave.
You say, " The hose into a 5 gallon pail with a filter on a second hole in the lid. " When you say filter can you explain what you mean. I get the part of getting a large bucket, with a lid, put a hole in it,to feed the hose from the gun into.
Not practical really to tip the pot over.As have a pich valve set up on base with hoses attached. Vacuum gun seems best option,
Thanks again.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

The hose goes from the Venturi to the lidded bucket and on a second hole in the lid you attach a filter, the one it comes with the air vac should do, to keep the media dust from filling the shop. If you are outside and don't care if you loose some of the media then you don't need the filter. Does that help?

Pete
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

Inspector wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:52 pm The hose goes from the Venturi to the lidded bucket and on a second hole in the lid you attach a filter, the one it comes with the air vac should do, to keep the media dust from filling the shop. If you are outside and don't care if you loose some of the media then you don't need the filter. Does that help?

Pete
I bought this 25 litre bucket ,what I propose doing is getting a suitable hose to fit on the gun where the dust bag fits. Use a hole saw to cut a hole in the lid, then perhaps some type of large cabinet cable grommet to hold the hose in position in the lid. If anyone has any ideas on this bit, then say. The pressure pot has 25kg of 120 mesh grit in it. " you attach a filter, the one it comes with the air vac " All it has is a dust bag that fits on the end off the gun. The bucket will need something to let the air escape, from the gun and collect the grit. I'm thinking like, cutting a square section out of lid. I see on Ebay stainless steel woven wire mesh filter grading 15cm sheet silk to heavy gauze UK item number 131939778085 keep the grit in the bucket, but allow the air to escape.This is available in 120 mesh size, the Silicon Carbide grit does eventually break down over time. So if need to empty pot in future might be wiser to get the 200 mesh, 400 mesh. This would allow air to escape but keep the grit in the bucket.
Have you any thought on all this?
Cheers.
Attachments
Grit Bucket.jpg
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

pollys1dad wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:14 pm ...
Hi Dave,
I saw this YouTube review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr0YFTBcmbU
Seems to have pretty powerful suction option and he only has a small compressor. I also have a decent much larger 14 cfm dual cylinder with a 90 litre receiver, belt driven compressor.
I just bought the Parkside vacuum gun, best price I could find in UK £29 and item has a metal body, think lot of others just plastic and Parkside kit is made in Germany
Thanks for reply.
That's way better than the devices we have at work which have pretty good suction, but very low volume.

Dave
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

The gun bag would be your filter. The air flows through it when used normally. If it wasn't permeable there would be no suction. So you have gun, hose to bucket, bag out of bucket. Your overthinking things. ;)

Pete
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

Inspector wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:45 pm The gun bag would be your filter. The air flows through it when used normally. If it wasn't permeable there would be no suction. So you have gun, hose to bucket, bag out of bucket. Your overthinking things. ;)

Pete
....Um...... hose to bucket, bag out of bucket...... bag out of bucket? The grit gets sucked up hose I'm with you that far, ordinarily the bag is attached to end of filter gun, used like that would quicly fill with grit. Can yu explain more clearly to me please, in practice? :)
:)
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The bucket will have an exhaust port, and that bag becomes the filter for that outlet.
RussN
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Take the bag off the gun.
Attach a short hose to the gun and attach the other end to a fitting on the lid of the bucket.
Attach the bag to a second fitting on the lid of the bucket.
The dust sucked up goes thru the gun, down the hose into the bucket with the filter keeping the fines from blowing out of the bucket.
When done put a new lid on the bucket if you want to save the media. Dispose of it in the appropriate manor if you don't.
In essence you are putting a collection bucket between the gun and the filter.

Pete