Cheap hand held polisher....

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AllenH59

Cheap hand held polisher....

Post by AllenH59 »

I look down the cheap road for everything... especially as where I live you have to order most everything.. Today I bought a bosch gear drive skill saw that was missing a few parts for $10 at the second had store.. With half an hour of labor I got rid of all the stuff underneath it and made a 6" buffing wheel fit.. I now have a hand held polisher that will take a 3/4 wide 6 inch wheel, and spin it 5600 rpm... it has a handy switch and a handle front and back.. its intended end use is polishing in my lathe... I tried it. it works well.
liveaboard

Re: Cheap hand held polisher....

Post by liveaboard »

transforming useless material into useful things = satisfying.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

liveaboard wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:35 pm transforming useless material into useful things = satisfying.
Especially when the results are so good! It is not unusual for me to have need for improving finishes on machined parts. I am facing that very scenario right now as I am refurbishing the Cincinnati #2 cutter grinder I obtained some time ago. The machine was ridden hard and definitely put away wet!
I sure could use such a device! Mean time I'm relegated to spin polishing using abrasive cloth and a vacuum to pick up the majority of swarf generated.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

Harold, I did not need to polish a lot of stuff before, I practiced cut as smooth as I could, but I have a job that requires a shine. That buffer made from the skilsaw is fantastic.. I just ran a lathe file wrapped in 1000 grit sand paper over it then again with 2000 grit.. then polish and it is bright. Plus.. it is plastic on the bottom.. so if it touches the shaft there is no mark... Gotta stop now, this patting myself on the back is starting to hurt.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

AllenH59 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:07 pm Gotta stop now, this patting myself on the back is starting to hurt.
Do not apologize! There's absolutely nothing wrong with discussing a successful creation. I commend you. :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.