Pressure Pot Pipe Leak - Method Of Outside Sealing It.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pollys1dad

Pressure Pot Pipe Leak - Method Of Outside Sealing It.

Post by pollys1dad »

I needed to remove the old watertrap filter that was on the pot. The pipe going into the pot. It broke so had to replace it. Thought longer the better, the weight of 3 hoses on might stress where pipe goes into pot and fracture break. I had a friend make up a support bar for the pipe. I replaced the watertrap with a new one, then had to remove it , when getting the trap off, noticed a little sideways movement on the pipe. Thought I could get away with it and thread seal on rest of threads would remain intact.
I mixed a little washing up liquid with water and applied with a paintbrush to joint going into pot. Saw some tiny bubbles being blown so joint is not 100% airtight.
To remove the pipe and other parts is quite a major undertaking and I could break the pipe, then have to get the end out like I did with the first one.
I know on water pipes can apply a kind of gel to outside of pipe to seal any water leaks.
I'm wondering if there is anything that works on same principle that I could apply to the pot joint?
The max air going into pot would be 50 psi.
Cheers.
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
pollys1dad

Re: Pressure Pot Pipe Leak - Method Of Outside Sealing It.

Post by pollys1dad »

I used medium strength threadlock, ( can undo with hand tools ) I could disconnect the hoses and undo the nut where the white arrow is. This would allow the whole assembly could be rotated anti-clockwise.To undo the pipe itself, yellow arrow a strap wrench wouldn't fit the pipe diameter, a stillson-pattern wrench. I expect would do the job but would mar the metal, which I would prefer not to do. Is there a type of wrench that would do the job and not mar the metal? When get pipe off will apply a stronger grade of thread lock but still able to be undone with hand tools.
Thanks
Attachments
A.JPG
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

If it is sealed up now leave it alone ! Remember Perfection is the enemy of good enough !!!!
www.chaski.com
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

If you use a Stillson pipe wrench,place a piece of leather between the jaws and the fitting. You can also seal any leak with JB weld.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

Mr Ron wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:54 pm If you use a Stillson pipe wrench,place a piece of leather between the jaws and the fitting. You can also seal any leak with JB weld.
Yes I had thought about a bit of leather, JB weld had crossed my mind too. Thanks for replying, appreciated:)
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

John Evans wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:04 pm If it is sealed up now leave it alone ! Remember Perfection is the enemy of good enough !!!!
Thanks.