Band saw blades

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

elewayne

Band saw blades

Post by elewayne »

Maybe a dumb question, Are there special band saw blades to cut aluminum, or are we just talking tooth count between aluminum and other metals.
Harold_V

Re: Band saw blades

Post by Harold_V »

Are you asking about wood cutting blades as opposed to metal cutting blades? As I am not a wood worker, I do not know if wood blades are different from metal cutting blades. I've had no reason to investigate.

In regards to HSS (bi-metal) blades and heat treated carbon steel blades, so far as I know there is no distinction between the materials they are suited to saw. What makes the biggest difference is tooth design and pitch. Aluminum cuts quite freely, and generates a considerable chip, so a large gullet is desirable. A skip tooth design offers greater clearance and more rigidity of the blade, as the tooth depth (the gullet) is shallower, leaving behind more of the backing.
Adhere to the rule of no fewer than three teeth in contact with the material and you should achieve acceptable results. Also, keep in mind, if you use a blade with narrow pitch (say a 28 tooth blade) in thick material of any kind, the gullets will load before they leave the cut, thus slowing cutting action and increasing heat. It's a good idea to match the blade to the material for that reason.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

The type of bandsaw will also dictate what blade types and pitches are available. If you are using a typical 14" vertical, for example, the more readily available blades will be more suited to wood. Also the speed will be faster. If you are using a 4x6, most are finer pitches. Exceptions exist for either case, of course. Nice thing about aluminum, much like machining it, is that cutting is pretty forgiving. So, you can cut way faster than you could ever dream of cutting steel. And if you are cutting thick stock, a course 6 or 8 tpi blade meant for wood will work fine.

Dave
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I get my blades from Echol's Saw (located in Phx, highly recommended). Getting my blades from them, I can get pretty much whatever exists for any of my saws. I've got 1/4" fine scroll blades for my big 20" Roll-In Diemaster (uses up to 1" blades), and 1/2 carbon steel skp-tooth (4 TPI?) for my 4x6 and my Wellsaw. And then there is variable pitch as well, which I've been getting away from. One of those "jack of all trades, master of none" things, at least for blades/material you cut a lot of.

Like Harold said, it's going to depend on material thickness and saw. It's near impossible to go lower than (IIRC) 4 TPI on a 1/2" blade, and even getting that far requires going to carbon steel blades, though I usually go with bi-metal Lenox blades. But carbon steel is fine for aluminum, which is about all I ever use those coarse blades for.

Also, I would highly recommend the wax lube for bandsaws. Comes in what looks like a single use grease tube used in a standard automotive grease gun. Faster cut, extended blade life, and avoids the mess of flood coolant (particularly when working with structural steel as I do).
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
elewayne

Post by elewayne »

I should have been more clear, I guess. a problem I often have. I just got a harbor freight 4x6" horizontal band saw.
I discovered that I really was going to need something to cut off blocks of metal to machine. And looking around the shop, I had nothing.
Who nationally sells good blades? Or just where do I look? It takes a 64" blade.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The following sell band saw blades:
www.grizzly.com
www.mscdirect.com
www.mcmater.com
Amazon.com even has them!
And many others.
I can even find them at our local ACE Hardware and Supply.

Lenox seems to make superior blades.
RussN
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Like I posted, Echol's Saw (was a link to http://www.echolssaw.com/) If it's made, he can make any blade you want. Being right down the road with no shipping makes him quite competitive for me, but not sure what that looks like with shipping. Also great advice on options to select. Even when I had nothing but a 4x6, he made time to talk with me at length about what I really needed, as opposed to what I had in my head. And his advice saved me money, not talking me into buying a bunch of extra stuff.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
bjmh46

Post by bjmh46 »

For the OP, I would recommend 2 blades for just about any home shop need on that saw. #1-10/14 vp bi-metal for 90% of small cutoff in steel. #2-6/10 vp bi-metal for larger sections and aluminum. Learn the tricks like tilting the part in the vise, proper oientation to cut angle, etc., etc.

My favorite blades are Lenox Diemaster2, and Haltbar-Sagen which is sold as Q601 bi-metal by sawblade.com. (no connection, just a satisfied customer)

The Lenox blades are sold by dozens of suppliers online.

Regards
Bob
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I use 6 tpi blades for large stock like that. Using the 3 tooth rule, that means anything over about 1/2" but practically only stuff over about an inch. Menards used to sell blades like that. I haven't bought them there for awhile so I don't know if they still do. I also have used the supercut blades from hf. For aluminum, they work fine. In general came go wrong with starrett, Morse, Lenox blades, imo.

Btw, your blades should be 64-1/2", not 64. I think the old craftsman used 64". Oh my old hf saw, I couldn't lose it enough to fit a 64 on it. (Only tried because dad have me a few of them.)
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

elewayne wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:46 pm Maybe a dumb question, Are there special band saw blades to cut aluminum, or are we just talking tooth count between aluminum and other metals.
I use bi-metal blades with variable pitch teeth in my band saw. Goes through aluminum with no problem.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Generally there is no difference between blades used for metal or wood. Where bimetal and carbide tipped blades are used for metals, blades for wood don't need that hard of a blade so can use the common carbon steel blade. What is appropo is blade pitch and life of the blade. A carbon steel blade will cut wood and some metals, but it's longevity on metals will be short.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Russ
Master Floor Sweeper