Brown and Sharp Micrometer

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Brown and Sharp Micrometer

Post by earlgo »

A 4-5 B&S Micrometer followed me home the other day and it seems to measure about .005 to small. There is no spanner hole in the barrel similar to a Starrett, but there is a small hole in the thimble cap. Does anyone know how to adjust this type of micrometer?
B&S Mic barrel
B&S Mic barrel
TIA
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Re: Brown and Sharp Micrometer

Post by SteveM »

Is it possible that the threaded barrel rotates, rather than the outside graduated barrel?

Steve
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I believe you have to remove the end cap on the thimble to get it off the spindle with a little C wrench that fits the hole. Then you turn the spindle with you fingertips until the faces touch. Now you slip the thimble back on with the line aligned for zero. Then the end cap is carefully tightened to bring the taper of the spindle and thimble together. Once you get the hang of it it isn't too hard to do in one go. Likely take a few tries the first time you play with it. Basically the same thing you do to a barrel adjusting micrometer to get the thimble zero back into position when you take it fully apart except you don't get to fine tune the zero with the barrel.

Here is a link that says about the same. https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to ... icrometer/

Pete
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Thanks Inspector for the info. I'll investigate later today. It is a 4"- 5" mic so I will have to find (reliable) gage blocks.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

I sent a retired colleague of mine who taught Machine Shop your question, and here is hisreply.

Russ was a super teacher had the students learning CAM with a little CAD, did not matter to the BOE, they closed his shop anyway, and I got to buy some of the machinery.

Because he also also had a Certificate in Biology, he moved into the Biology Department. There are no shops at Lane Tech today!
B&S Mic.png
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Ronald: Please thank your friend Russ for me. I am guessing that this trickyness is why the mic is off the way it is. Maybe it would be easier to write the error correction on the frame bow... :(
--earlgo
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

If you don't want it now I'm not to proud to take it so you don't have to look at it again. PM me and I'll give you my address. ;)
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Inspector: Sorry but this is a fill in for my "set" that goes from 0" to 7". All mismatched makes, but it is fun to see all the makes.
There is a place in Cleveland, OH called Small Tools Inc. that has more micrometers than I have ever seen.
https://www.smalltools.com/
Small Tools Inc
19199 Saint Clair Ave,
Cleveland, OH 44117
(216) 732-5980
They have lots of other stuff, too, from machinery to drill bits.
--earlgo
P.S. Thanks for the link
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Now, if you want a real big Micrometer how about this one:

I've had this on Home Machinist before, it is actually a 10 to 1 model of a 1 Inch Micrometer, that I restored a few years ago.

In 1928, they were capable of making all the parts, except the base, which is an old grinder pedistal.

Today, they would have no way to even make drawings for such a project!
DSCN9687.JPG
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Ronald, I remember your original post and thought that very nice. Who, in this day and age, would even think of doing this project. However using SolidWorks or OnShape one can easily make 3-D models and drawings and then a 3D printed part using additive manufacturing processes.
It reminds me of the old classroom slide rules that were 4 or so feet long and hung above blackboards.
Thanks for the memory jog.
--earlgo
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

RONALD wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:04 amToday, they would have no way to even make drawings for such a project!

DSCN9687.JPG
Maybe I don't know what you mean by this statement. We can still produce drawings just like they did back then. We can also use a computer to do the same. This doesn't make any sense.

Dave
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Ye Olde Lane Tech with its vast number of Shops, and large Technical Drawing Department first started eliminating shops in the 1980's, the last, auto shop, closing around 2015. Around 2016, the Principal called the remaining Tech Drawing people during the summer and rudely told them their jobs were gone.

So there is no way today to replicate what was done in 1928. Yes, there are other ways to handle such a project today, but I believe hand-mind coordination is helped by those who take Shops and Tech Drawing (which included CAD); the students are the losers, the CBOE saved millions!

Sure, they have some STEM classes now, bur STEM is ELITIST, it only has a few classes, the rest of the student body is left in the cold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Tech ... igh_School

https://lanetech.org