Brown and Sharp Micrometer

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Re: Brown and Sharp Micrometer

Post by earlgo »

Oops, I now see that you were referring to the Lane Tech students not being able to replicate this technical feat of drawing and manufacturing.
Apparently a number of seats of higher education are eliminating the pure sciences in favor of watered down courses. Oh well, I did my 48 years as a design engineer with degrees in Math, Physics and Mechanical engineering. Let someone with a degree in Social Justice take over my job. Oops, sorry moderators, but I haven't had my 2nd cup of coffee yet today.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I don't know that it's strictly a function of those in control eliminating them, though that is happening. There doesn't seem to be the demand for those courses. We have trouble recruiting electronic techs because there aren't enough kids wanting to do it. If you don't have enough kids taking the class, how do you continue to justify the expense if the machinery, especially when there are constant cries that we spend too much money on education already?
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Ronald:
I sent a retired colleague of mine who taught Machine Shop your question, and here is his reply.
I finally got a "round tuit" and am trying to adjust the micrometer. If your friend is available would you ask him if the cap on the Brown and Sharpe micrometer is right hand or left hand thread? I don't want to distort the hole by turning it in the wrong direction. TIA.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

I emailed Russ H. and his email reply is: Right Hand Thread!

Yep, I have broken a few facteners by not asking first, Right or Left?
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Ronald, please thank your friend for me. We will see how it 'turns out'.
--earlgo
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

A fixture was built that gripped both the spindle and the barrel separately, and a spanner nut was built. The fixture was made of oak so that it wouldn't damage the micrometer finish. The steps to adjustment were:
1 - install the spanner nut on the end of the mic cap
end cap spanner nut s.jpg
2 - grip the micrometer spindle and barrel in the fixture with a 4in gage block in place. Note the round pin under the gage to prevent misalignment
setup in fixture s.jpg
roller under gage s.jpg
3 - loosen the end cap. It has right hand threads. This nut was made for a 1 in OE wrench
spanner in place s.jpg
4 - loosen the clamp on the barrel but NOT on the spindle
5 - line up the barrel mark with the index mark.
6 - tighten the barrel clamp
7 - tighten the end cap
8 - remove the fixture and verify the reading
complete s.jpg
complete med.jpg
Worked very well. I didn't miss the setting by too many tenths.
Thanks to RONALD for the info from his friend.
--earlgo
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

earlgo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:30 pm The fixture was made of oak so that it wouldn't damage the micrometer finish.
Very nice!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.