Ceramic sanding belts: worth the price?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Hasler

Ceramic sanding belts: worth the price?

Post by John Hasler »

I have a project that requires the removal of a lot of material from a large flat area which then must be polished. I've determined that the best way to do this with the tools I have is to use my 6" x 48" belt grinder. Aluminum oxide is slow. Are ceramic belts worth the extra cost? They are said to cut much more aggressively and to handle difficult materials well.

The material is, essentially, iron with fine slag inclusions, some of them probably alumina. It destroys HSS.
Bentworker

Re: Ceramic sanding belts: worth the price?

Post by Bentworker »

In my opinion the 3M cubitron II products are worth every penny. I have not seen anything that comes close to removing material as fast and as cool as Cubitron 2.

I got some for grinding auto body sheetmetal butt welds, and they worked like magic. Since used them for all sorts of things, sharpening garden tools etc. They cut cool- very cool.
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

Re: Ceramic sanding belts: worth the price?

Post by ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES »

Yes in my opinion look up on YouTube Fireball tool Go Kart wheel belt sander that thing can eat a file in seconds shows no sign of wear!. So you can kind of say I'm sold on them