Does Dykem go bad?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

KellyJones

Does Dykem go bad?

Post by KellyJones »

Bought some Dykem for layout about 15 years ago. I don't use it much, so a 4 oz. bottle has lasted a long time.

I recall it being a deep midnight blue, and opaque when applied. This is supported by the old spills on the bottle. Today I went to use it, and it appears to be a translucent purple. Very thin, and i am concerned the scribe marks may not be visible, being lost in the "background noise" of the original surface showing through the layout fluid.

Am I going crazy?
Kelly Jones, PE
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
(1856-1950)
Russ Hanscom

Re: Does Dykem go bad?

Post by Russ Hanscom »

No,

I have had the same experience - just keep using it until the results are unacceptable.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Same happen to me on a Dykem of nearly the same vintage.
There was a discussion on this topic.
They changed the formulation at some point, probably because it gave diarrhea if one drinks more than 1/2 a gallon.
The old stuff kept fine.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Happened to me too. I've got some red that seems to be holding better, but I don't use it that much. When it dies I'll probably just use markers.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Me too, No amount of shaking restored it to its former glory. Bought a new can from McM-C. I use markers for small coverage but the Dykem for serious mistakes... I mean use.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
4gsr

Post by 4gsr »

I have a bottle of red Dykem that is almost 20 years old. So far it hasn't faded. I do keep it in a reasonably 70-85 degree shop year round. Ken
Ken
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

My red was bought in 1982 and there is about 1/4" left in the bottle, Think I've got My moneys worth.