CCMT recycle face mills

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: CCMT recycle face mills

Post by whateg0 »

I think you'd be better served by making a new holder. The pocket you create isn't going to have much support for the insert unless you set it back a bit. But then the hole isn't going to line up.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

whateg0 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:24 am I think you'd be better served by making a new holder. The pocket you create isn't going to have much support for the insert unless you set it back a bit. But then the hole isn't going to line up.
I thought about that, but where it will lose support is near the opposite tip. The sides to the left and right will have support closest to the 80 degree tips.

Got the toolholders cheap enough (that lets me screw up once). Figured I'd give it a shot.

Only place I know that sells a turning toolholder for the 100 degree side is AW Warner, but they only sell it with a kit of two toolhoders for $130:

Steve
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I have a friend who swears his inserts move and that's why he misses some dimensions. I can't say I've ever had any of mine move. He believes it's because the insert isn't fully supported. Some of his holders have straight (vertical) sides instead of being angled to match the sides of the insert. So he believes the inserts are being allowed to rotate. None of the holders I've made have angled walls, being cut with square end Mills.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

No idea on his claim of movement, but I've never noticed a properly seated insert moving. I also prefer the insert retention with the eccentric pin, a top finger clamp, and carbide "anvil". I tend to think of Kennametal for those, but I've seen that mechanism on others. Other than a few carbide boring bars, I avoid the screw retainers.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
platypus20

Post by platypus20 »

SteveM wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:49 am
whateg0 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:24 am I think you'd be better served by making a new holder. The pocket you create isn't going to have much support for the insert unless you set it back a bit. But then the hole isn't going to line up.
I thought about that, but where it will lose support is near the opposite tip. The sides to the left and right will have support closest to the 80 degree tips.

Got the toolholders cheap enough (that lets me screw up once). Figured I'd give it a shot.

Only place I know that sells a turning toolholder for the 100 degree side is AW Warner, but they only sell it with a kit of two toolhoders for $130:

Steve
Little Machine Shop sells them separately
jack
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

platypus20 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:54 pm Little Machine Shop sells them separately
If you are referring to this one:
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/ ... &category=
it's not the same, although it is useful.

This one has the insert turned slightly counterclockwise.

Steve
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

SteveM wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:03 pm...This one has the insert turned slightly counterclockwise.

Steve
I'd guess it's to get a 45 degree face on the left side of the tool for chamfering.

Dave
platypus20

Post by platypus20 »

Here are the ones I bought
DC669C1D-10A5-4A5A-9CA0-94EC56CE26B8.jpeg
Attachments
B7FE0C0C-513A-47BA-989C-82373348EF49.jpeg
B44AF90D-A25F-4C59-A033-4CD3F784FF7C.jpeg
jack
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I take it the SCKCR is for facing and the other is for turning?

Thanks for posting the "code" for them. Often holders are hard to find because you don't know which alphabet soup to search for!

Dave
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

whateg0 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:30 pmOften holders are hard to find because you don't know which alphabet soup to search for!
You can get the secret decoder ring here:
http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-th-d.htm

And here's the decoder ring for inserts:
http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm

Steve
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Shars even has a boring bar that uses the 100 degree side.
https://www.shars.com/products/indexabl ... ring-bar-1

Not good for boring to the bottom, but useful for thru bores.

Steve
rklopp

Post by rklopp »

That Shars boring bar looks like it would push away from the work due to the shallow lead angle, making it hard to hit size. The amount of push would depend on the depth of cut and feed. Yuck. I remember learning about this the hard way on my dad’s old 9” South Bend boring with my poorly-ground HSS boring bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk