Determining an angle of a blind pocket ?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: Determining an angle of a blind pocket ?

Post by whateg0 »

No apology needed. It just didn't seem like a critical angle. I am curious, though. Unless the angle is more acute than 90 degrees included, I don't see how that can apply anywhere near the same amount of force as the knob. I know on my Noga clones, the angle where the two cylinders meet in the middle is about 45 and I still feel like I really have to put a lot of gronk on it for it to lock. Some of that is because they aren't genuine Noga, but some I feel is just due to the fact that the force is being indirectly applied and there are losses in the system.

Dave
jcfx

Re: Determining an angle of a blind pocket ?

Post by jcfx »

The angle is sort of critical, since there are two opposing cylinders with the same pocket
my replacement one needs to be as close as possible to the one I'm not replacing
in order for the ball joints at the ends of the arm to lock.
I ordered a countersink that was 100º and it sort of worked, the pocket was a hair smaller ( should have ordered the 1/2" countersink )
length and width wise but it tightened with a little adjustment at the ball joint ends,
I think I may have lost some weight bearing capacity, these arms are supposed to hold a
max of 35lbs but my purposes for them are essentially as a third hand holding heat guns,
hairdryers, DRO ( permanent install ) so as long as it holds it's good enough.

The mechanism of these arms are probably similar but different from Noga's, both are using a wedging action
to lock, I've never taken my genuine Noga's apart but tight never seems tight enough I have to gronk on them too.