Magnetic V-Block

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RickBarb

Magnetic V-Block

Post by RickBarb »

I picked up a magnetic V-blockand have found it to be a valuable addition to my tools. I notice that on the side it has what appears to be a lubrication hole that is sealed by a small ball bearing. I googled v-block maintenance and found absolutely nothing about lubricating the interior components. I am looking for a some advise. Ignore it or squirt some oil in it and see what happens. Thanks, Rick
Harold_V

Re: Magnetic V-Block

Post by Harold_V »

I can't address the V block, but my original Starrett magnetic base, purchased way back in '58, was difficult to operate. I applied a few drops of ATF to the push button with the button in the vertical position, and allowed it to rest. Did that a couple times. The button now slides about as freely as a new one. I suspect the oil dispersed inside, lubricating the magnet, allowing it to move much easier.

If the bearing you speak of is spring loaded, there's a dispensing tip that is used to apply oil to such fittings.
Oiler 3.JPG
If, on the other hand, you find the bearing is pressed in the hole and does not move, it may have been used as a plug, with the V block not having the ability to be oiled once assembled.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.