loose screw issue

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RSG

Re: loose screw issue

Post by RSG »

Pete, they theoretically don't need to remove the screw often so my guess is it should last. That said I could do just that, provide a reorder solution for a replacement screw.

From my test I did the 1/6" dia was just right, any bigger and I don't think you could screw it in by hand easily. I was impressed with it's strength at such as small size. I am also going to experiment with other plastics like Delrin or UMHW.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
RSG

Post by RSG »

ChipsAhoy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:07 pm Mebbe a washer that has a flexible dog like on a perscription bottle child proof cap. Goes under the knob, which has a couple of indents in it for the catch to grab.
Scotty
Not a bad idea, if I could get it to work that small perhaps, not sure.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

You also could put an extra screw in a hollow handle or other spot.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Awfully small and beyond my skills, but it just popped into my head... how about a screw in a screw?

Like a lock nut, but in reverse. Could maybe work if the hole is blind and preload is set by screw shoulder. Tighten outer to set preload, tighten inner to lock in place. Or along the same lines, like a split nut used to minimize backlash, but a screw, and remove all clearance, thus "jamb" the screw.

Again, I make no claims to practicality, just something that popped into my head while browsing.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
RSG

Post by RSG »

mcostello wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:45 pm You also could put an extra screw in a hollow handle or other spot.
Sorry I can't quite imagine what you are saying, can you elaborate?
RSG

Post by RSG »

BadDog wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:17 pm ... how about a screw in a screw?

Like a lock nut, but in reverse. Could maybe work if the hole is blind and preload is set by screw shoulder. Tighten outer to set preload, tighten inner to lock in place. Or along the same lines, like a split nut used to minimize backlash, but a screw, and remove all clearance, thus "jamb" the screw.
Not a bad idea but it would have to be made so that in the even the user required opening the spool they could do it without any tools streamside. The spindle is a through hole threaded but could be made as a blind hole if needed. This idea could work with some tweaking.

Thanks for the ideas guys, if you have more, keep them coming.
RichD

Post by RichD »

RSG, I have used grass whip cord, available in diff sizes, for DIY "Nylok" needs many times. The best fix for stripped holes in concrete when
using Tapcon screws too. GW cord is very tough.
RichD
Happy Rails !
RichD
Colorado Midland Ry Ten Wheeler U/C
Kerr Stuart Wren NG 0-4-0 U/C
www.csppry.org
Imagination is your best tool.
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

RSG wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:10 pm Thanks Patio, I've considered those including curved spring washers but they have a tendency to fall off if someone isn't paying attention when they take it apart. I have to think of everything to mitigate issues down the road like that.
Just to expand a little on this idea of the wavy/spring washers, I have encountered screws quite a few times that have a wavy washer that has an ID that is just a couple of thousandths larger than the root diameter of the thread so that they must be threaded onto the screw. There is a relief (groove) machined under the head of the screw that is just slightly smaller than the root diameter so that when the washer is threaded on and reaches this groove, it spins freely but will not come off of the screw without threading it back off. Just some food for thought.

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

If the handle was hollow You could put an extra screw inside.
RSG

Post by RSG »

RichD wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:19 pm RSG, I have used grass whip cord, available in diff sizes, for DIY "Nylok" needs many times.
RichD
Thanks Rich, good idea, if I could find one close to the dia of the hole I drilled in the side of the screw! It'd have to be quite small though. That stuff sure is tough though.
RSG

Post by RSG »

shootnride wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:35 pm just slightly smaller than the root diameter so that when the washer is threaded on and reaches this groove, it spins freely but will not come off of the screw without threading it back off. Just some food for thought.

Ted
Thanks Ted, That could work if I could find the right dia. If I look on MMC there is a myriad of washer formats and sizes but they tend to follow the thread size as far as the ID is concerned. I suppose I could try a handful of sizes just under the thread size I have including metric to find one that is close to the minor dia.
RSG

Post by RSG »

mcostello wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:53 pm If the handle was hollow You could put an extra screw inside.
Ok, sort of like BadDog's idea. Thanks