loose screw issue

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

GlennW

Re: loose screw issue

Post by GlennW »

Use a coin slot in the thumb screw instead of wings.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

GlennW wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:48 am Use a coin slot in the thumb screw instead of wings.
Every time I have something with a coin slot on it, I'm broke.

Steve
RSG

Post by RSG »

SteveM wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:57 am Can you press fit a nylock nut into the handle?
That's a good idea shoo the other route, I'd like to try to stick with the format I use now though if I could as I already have about 128 pre turned thumb screws
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
RSG

Post by RSG »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:24 am Also, have you ever used V-3? It’s similar to Loctite, but works more like a patch or nylon insert screw.
Spray it on, let it dry, and assemble. You can still adjust it, but it increases the friction to do so, and will last a while.

Bill
Thanks Bill,

That sounds like it will work for short term use. The thing is this needs to be able to be unscrewed often as the guys like to clean their reels and must last for many many years.
RSG

Post by RSG »

GlennW wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:48 am Use a coin slot in the thumb screw instead of wings.
Good idea, and it's used currently by another manufacturer. The issue with it is it's a little too generic looking and looks cheap. My customers would lose a nut if I ever put one on :lol:
RSG

Post by RSG »

John Hasler's idea of a nylock insert seems to be the best idea as far as ease of application and adaptability to my existing thumb screw. I just did a test with one and bored a .0625" hole in the side and machined a piece of nylon the correct dia. To my surprise it works awesome! Even if it's unscrewed and inserted many times. I have more testing to do but I think that's the ticket, so thanks John!

And thanks to everyone that offered ideas, that's very much appreciated and why I come here. Since I already have all the screws made I will finish this project with the thread lock insert shown above but moving forward if anyone still has any other ideas outside the box, such as a complete overhaul of the spool containment mechanism I'm all ears. :wink:
Patio

Post by Patio »

Wavy washers, might work.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
RSG

Post by RSG »

Thanks Patio, I've considered those including curved spring washers but they have a tendency to fall off if someone isn't paying attention when they take it apart. I have to think of everything to mitigate issues down the road like that.
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Mebbe a washer that has a flexible dog like on a perscription bottle child proof cap. Goes under the knob, which has a couple of indents in it for the catch to grab.
Scotty
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

RSG wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:22 am
This is intriguing! I wonder if I actually used a slitter saw to cut a slot across the face, then wedge a piece of nylon in it. The hole with fishing line it a possibility as well. Do you think I would need epoxy or another glue to hold it in place?
I wouldn't think that any adhesive at all would be needed but a bit of cyanoacrylate might help.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

One thing to keep in mind with nylon locking devices is that they have a limited life, wearing out, and don't hold anymore. On aircraft I was taught to toss nylock nuts after 3 times on and off. Sometimes hard to know how often a nut was used so wouldn't use them if they felt too easy to put on. Are your customers going to be able to replace the thread lock insert themselves at home or stream side?

Pete
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

From what I understand the screws will still work even after the nylon is worn out (if it does wear out): they will just have a slight tendency to work loose. Thus the user can put it back in at streamside and then if she later notices that it is working loose order a replacement screw.