Bandsaw Blades

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

KellyJones

Bandsaw Blades

Post by KellyJones »

For years I have heard the experts remind us newbies and hobbyists to verify the teeth of a newly installed bandsaw blade be pointing the right direction. I dutifully checked each time, but for the life of me I couldn't see how one could end up with the teeth pointing the wrong direction. Then it happened to me the other day.

I had trouble uncoiling a new blade the other day and it turns out that it is possible to turn the blade "inside out" when uncoiling. That had not occurred to me before, and the result was teeth pointing the wrong way.

I also found put it increases the risk of kinking the blade significantly. And a kinked blade will throw teeth. Expensive lesson, but I think I learned it well.

:(
Kelly Jones, PE
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
(1856-1950)
Harold_V

Re: Bandsaw Blades

Post by Harold_V »

Yep! It's all too easy to get a blade on backwards, especially if one welds their own. Easy enough to turn them inside out to make a correction, but one must be aware that it's possible.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

What I want to know is why in the last 20 years has every, and I mean every blade I have purchased for my Marvel saw has uncoiled backwards????

Nyle
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Perhaps your saw is backwards?
JackF

Post by JackF »

I got a blade welded at a blade shop and the teeth were backwards. :( When I complained they told me just to turn it inside out. Who knew? :roll: :wink: Just be sure to wear gloves. :wink: :)

Jack.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

What I want to know is why in the last 20 years has every, and I mean every blade I have purchased for my Marvel saw has uncoiled backwards????
Where you born in the Southern Hemisphere? :lol: :lol:
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

JackF wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:13 am I got a blade welded at a blade shop and the teeth were backwards. :( When I complained they told me just to turn it inside out. Who knew? :roll: :wink: Just be sure to wear gloves. :wink: :)

Jack.
And hold it away from your face!

Dave
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Born in the North, maybe I need to move south, or hang upside down....go figure!
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

You just need to turn your bandsaw inside-out.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

If I do that then the blades will uncoil in the opposite direction....I'm doomed!
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

What I need is a bimetal crosscut saw blade that cuts in either direction.....yeah, that's the ticket.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

LIALLEGHENY wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:54 pm What I need is a bimetal crosscut saw blade that cuts in either direction.....yeah, that's the ticket.
Would that be considered cutbidextrous?
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.