Boyer- Shultz Surface Grinder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Boyer- Shultz Surface Grinder

Post by earlgo »

My friend purchased a Boyer-Shultz Surface grinder without any documentation, nor can he find any, even on VintageMachinery.org Does anyone have any operators manual, parts list, etc for a B-S model 612 Deluxe? Or failing that, know where to find any.
TIA
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
BadDog

Re: Boyer- Shultz Surface Grinder

Post by BadDog »

Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Thanks fellows. I guess my friend didn't check carefully enough, or else he thought it wasn't the right model. I'll pass this along to him.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

The Challenger is functionally similar, but different from the Deluxe. When I was looking, that's all I ever found.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

BadDog: it turns out that my friend had downloaded the manual you suggested, but his issue is with the sheet metal cabinet. There seems to be a leak somewhere at one of the mounting points. He is reluctant to remove the machine from the cabinet, but I asked him "How hard can that be?"
He has repaired all the leaks in the lube system. Any further suggestions?
TIA
--earlgo
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Sorry, not much help for that here. I built my own stand, and the machine itself was sold some time ago. And didn't run coolant.

I do have a BS steel cabinet here along with a clapped out surface grinder I've had plans for building into something different for a number of years (round tuit). The only thing that I can say is that from what I recall, the machine just sits on it, and the top appears to be a casting, so not sure what would be likely to leak if it's not cracked. And my clapped out grinder is doing just that, meaning I can't see any more than he can, and stuff piled on "out of the way" until... I get a round tuit.

One other point, I just looked at mine, and there is a drain at the back under the column. Perhaps it's leaking around there? If he doesn't want to pull the machine off the cabinet, then maybe use some phosphorescent die in the coolant to track where it's coming from? That's all I can think of.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

BadDog: Good suggestion, I'll pass it on. Thanks.
--earlgo