Threading die question

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RSG

Threading die question

Post by RSG »

Are there any dies on the market that are capable of threading to a shoulder without having to grind it down?
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
John Hasler

Re: Threading die question

Post by John Hasler »

I thread up as close to the shoulder as the die will go, turn it around, and run it on backwards up to the shoulder. That usually gets me as close as I need to get.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Thanks John, The die I have is recessed on the back so it wont work like that unfortunately. Maybe I'll look for one that is threaded right to the edge on the back side.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

This may seem obvious...but undercut the area to be threaded before using the die
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Thanks Bill, I have undercut it but it's quite long. The die I have is cheap and seems to have a long entrance taper so it leaves almost a .07" shoulder. The length of the thread is only .18" and I want as much thread as I can get for strength especially since this is aluminum.

I have ordered a better quality button die which from the pic shows it to be fully threaded from the back, I guess we'll see.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

what I do is

1> under cut the thread
2> start with die using tapered 'start' side
3> turn around and clean up to 'shoulder'.

no die is fully threaded to the 'back'....generally the closest you can get is 1/2 of the pitch..otherwise the die cannot be manufactured because you do not have enough 'width' to the teeth.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.