How would you finish this bore?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

GlennW

Re: How would you finish this bore?

Post by GlennW »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:17 am Glenn, the spindle is polished with crocus cloth. It just needs to be smooth.
"Smooth" doesn't necessarily mean that it is round and straight! Especially if it is to fit into another part at close tolerance.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

GlennW wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:01 pm
Greg_Lewis wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:17 am Glenn, the spindle is polished with crocus cloth. It just needs to be smooth.
"Smooth" doesn't necessarily mean that it is round and straight! Especially if it is to fit into another part at close tolerance.
Yup. But it's the best I can do with the tools and talent I have (please note avitar and sig line :shock: ). As far as I can tell, it's straight and round to within a half a thou.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

You generally need (at least) 3 points of contact to measure roundness because of the very common "lobing" problem. For example, a v-block micrometer is often the reference. If carefully done, you can also use a v-block to support and rotate the bar under a tenth DTI. But depending on number of lobes and contact points separation for the reference, you can still miss tri-lobing (or more). It's quite the challenge as you get more and more dependent on roundness. Straightness is a completely different problem.

It all boils down to, how close is close enough? I pretty much never have to worry about such things, tool makers have different goals/requirements, as do people making critical parts (like Glenn does, Harold did, etc).
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Yes, Russ, I learned that the hard way. Many years ago I needed a 7/8 dia. piece of shaft that was right on the dia. In my innocence I thought a piece of drill rod would do it. The catalog spec claimed that it was within .0003. So $35 later I cut off a piece and was working with it and something wasn't right. My mic said it was right on the diameter, but things just weren't working out. Only when I set it up on V-blocks as you describe did I discover that it was tri-lobed by over .003. I should have bought a piece of ground shafting. I've still got the rest of that piece of junk in the stock rack.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

John Hasler wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:51 am Why the mill rather than the lathe?
He commented that the bores are not the same diameter because of wear in his lathe. That wouldn't be a problem if he bored with his mill.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Harold_V wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:02 pm
John Hasler wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:51 am Why the mill rather than the lathe?
He commented that the bores are not the same diameter because of wear in his lathe. That wouldn't be a problem if he bored with his mill.

H
Unfortunately my mill is a little Clausing 8530 and the quill just barely fails to have enough travel. The only options there would be to reset either the toolbit, the work or the table and none of those would insure the accuracy I was aiming for.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Have you considered altering the design? If the quill has nearly enough travel you could shorten one of the bearings slightly.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

John Hasler wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:15 pm Have you considered altering the design? If the quill has nearly enough travel you could shorten one of the bearings slightly.

Yeah. I should have thought of that. At this point I've got the bearings pressed in and bored to minus .001 so the Sunnen hone is looking like the most expedient solution. Setting the block up in the mill to take off .0005 from each wall of the bearings isn't something I can do. But thanks for the idea anyway.
Greg Lewis, Prop.