Dayton 6K328A 1/6 Motor 110 volt - forward reverse wiring question

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

GTB

Dayton 6K328A 1/6 Motor 110 volt - forward reverse wiring question

Post by GTB »

Hello,
I'm new and not well versed in how to use this site, if I am in the wrong location or not following protocol please let me know!

My question is this :

I recently bought a small Dayton split phase 110v gear motor to tinker with as a grinder in my shop. it is supposed to be dual direction,
and it seems to work fine when I test it at least in one direct. Is it possible to wire this motor up with a switch or switches so I can
change the direction it rotates with our having to rewire the motor each time? If this is possible would I need just one switch or would I need
multiple switches?

Thanks!
GTB
whateg0

Re: Dayton 6K328A 1/6 Motor 110 volt - forward reverse wiring question

Post by whateg0 »

As I grinder I cannot think of a reason to have it spin both directions. But to answer the question, it depends. Most motors like that can be wired either way. So with a drum switch, it can be switched to run the other direction. Model of the motor would help. Most have it had a wiring diagram on them somewhere.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Spinning both directions is almost a requirement if you mount any diamond wheels for sharpening brazed carbide.
It's easy enough to install a switch so you can select rotation. I did that with the ½ horse motor I use for my grinder. Works like a charm. The only caveat is that the motor must be running slow enough for the starter switch to engage if you wish to reverse direction. I also used a double pole double throw switch for the on/off function, so I can run with or without the coolant pump, which is not needed for grinding HSS. I use a diamond wheel on one side and an aluminum oxide on the other.

To be clear, there's two switches. One selects direction of rotation, while the other starts the grinder with, or without, the pump.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Harold, what is the reason for reversing while grinding carbide? I've used my grinder to grind carbide inserts and brazed tools but it only runs in one direction. What am I missing?

https://www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/6K328_1.pdf

GTB, the first page of this shows how to wire the motor using a 3P2T switch, but it could just as easily be done with two switches. A drum switch is just a conveniently packaged 3P2T switch.

Dave
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

whateg0 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:55 am Harold, what is the reason for reversing while grinding carbide? I've used my grinder to grind carbide inserts and brazed tools but it only runs in one direction. What am I missing?
It is desirable to grind such tools without a hollow grind, so the cutting edge has maximum support. From your comment, I suspect that you're using a type 1 wheel, which yields a hollow grind. For that reason, I use a type 6 wheel. If you hope to grind both left and right hand tools, it's quite useful to have reverse rotation capability, so the grind is always down on the tool, never up, as there's risk of chipping the edge.

On the topic of grind types, I started in the commercial shop when carbide was in its infancy. It was exceedingly brittle, with some types bordering on being useless. The need for straight grinds was extreme. It could well be that modern carbide will resist the slightly lesser support of grinds achieved with type 1 wheels. A lot depends on the application.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GTB

Post by GTB »

Thank you all for your helpful information. As I look at the motor on the label that is attached to it, it states it's model : 6K328A. I have gone back and looked at the motor and I do see on the label which is stuck on it's side as you indicated, it says to reverse the rotation change the RED and BLACK leads. From what I can tell and I'm limited in my knowledge of wiring... the power (110) is hooked up to red and white wires. (I have not opened up the the wiring box on the side of the motor as of yet. With that said, where will the "black" line be, and is that what I need to swap to change the direction of rotation? If I were to try and wire in a switch or switches ... are they standard switches I can pick up anywhere? I'll take that cover off of the wiring box and see exactly what is hooked up and what is not.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

You can use standard switches or a drum switch. See Harold's description of the switches above.