Old inspection indicator

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Lewayne

Old inspection indicator

Post by Lewayne »

I bought this dial indicator in a lot of old machine shop tools some years ago. 8 maybe, For very little money. Nice wood box and everything. I think it’s all there even. The plunger on back of the disk works but it’s become sticky. Is there a way to clean these up so it will work again? I don’t want to do something wrong right off the bat.
Thanks
4859CBB1-F009-4CD9-B1B3-591512E118C3.jpeg
Attachments
5E10034F-2540-4B6D-AFB7-CE98DD9CCE71.jpeg
John Evans

Re: Old inspection indicator

Post by John Evans »

Put a drop of ATF or Marvel Mystery oil on the shank and work it back and forth ,both have detergents that will clean out and old oxidized oil. DO NOT over oil !!!!
www.chaski.com
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I find that if I need to clean out an indicator, flushing with lighter fluid works well.

Maybe adding some ATF to the lighter fluid will get more of a detergent action going.

Don't use so much or in such an orientation that you get any into the crystal, as it could damage it.

I have gotten more than a dozen indicators working with that.

Starrett oil is probably a good choice as it is very light.

As John says, don't over-oil! Excess oil will make thing sluggish and when the oil dries it will just stick again.

Steve
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I clean indicators with automotive starting fluid. It dissolves congealed old oil, flushes out dirt, leaves no residue, and doesn't harm most plastics and paints.

If I oil them at all I oil them like watches: use the tip of a needle to apply the smallest possible drop of light oil to each bearing. Don't oil gears.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

John Hasler wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:42 amI clean indicators with automotive starting fluid. It dissolves congealed old oil, flushes out dirt, leaves no residue, and doesn't harm most plastics and paints.
Hadn't thought of that. The nice things is it completely evaporates and quickly.

Just be sure to do that outside!

Steve
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

FWIW. Just in case the label is missing off the end of the box, that is a Starrett Universal Dial Test Indicator Model 196. I have one but haven't used it in years, for no good reason than I have others more modern.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Actually in its day it was the indicator set to have.

Richard W.
elewayne

Post by elewayne »

The label is still on the box. Its a real nice little indicator. I'm not sure how its would be used though.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Lots of different ways, since you have all the accessories. I would have used it this afternoon if I had it.