Eye bolt rating

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Eye bolt rating

Post by whateg0 »

I can find info on forged lifting eyes but am not finding much of anything on the common hardware store variety. I have a couple of 1000# laser cutters to move one time and was going to weld up a cradle to go under them. Easiest thought was a pair of 2" square tubes under the ends with eye bolts at each corner. Spreaders at the top to keep the chain or lifting straps from crushing the top. Next easiest would be to just cut some lifting eyes and weld them on the ends of the tube. This move has to be accomplished this week and the organization didn't put much thought into how they were going to accomplish it.

Dave
whateg0

Re: Eye bolt rating

Post by whateg0 »

Additional thoughts are each corner should only 250#, plus whatever weight isn't distributed evenly. 3/8" eyes should be plenty. I could even use larger ones. These are the type I'm thinking of.
Screenshot_20200316-115358_Chrome.jpg
Dave
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

check out Mcmaster for the eyebolts. They have the ratings on them.

The ones you have pictured are not for lifting.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

If you had no other choice I'm sure you could get away with using them, maybe go to 1/2" just to play it safe.....nothing worse than dropping a machine, especially on yourself.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I just passed over at gj about one of my engine hoists failing this past week. Considerably more weight but still noteworthy. I'll duplicate that post here.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

LIALLEGHENY wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:59 am check out Mcmaster for the eyebolts. They have the ratings on them.

The ones you have pictured are not for lifting.
In the time frame given, it's going to be either very expensive or not possible to get lift rated eyebolts. Yes, it's a risk, but anything is. Mostly, it's a liability thing for the manufacturer. I have a 1/2" eyebolt like the one shown in the tire swing in the front yard. I'm more worried about the 6" branch it hangs from breaking than I am about the eyebolt bending. I just want to go above the normal TLAR specs.

Dave
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Can't be bothered with rated components and using components in applications they are not designed for again?
This is a steep learning curve isn't it?
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Weld those eyebolts closed, don't lift overhead, and you'll be fine.
STRR

Post by STRR »

NEVER use bent fabricated eye bolts for hoisting. They have no ratings on them for a reason. They are not designed to hoist loads.

Use ONLY forged or cast shouldered eye bolts for hoisting. Be SAFE. Shouldered eye bolts are designed for up to a 45-degree rigging angle. The closer you can get/keep the angle straight up (90-degrees) the better off you will be.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Surprised no has mentioned this: hardware variety eye bolts have no safety rating because they bend and straighten out when subject to lifting loads. The metal in the eye is generally grade 2 or less- sometimes more plyable than zinc coated carriage bolts.

If you weld the eye you might get away with a 1000#, but use very low heat, as the welding I tried just evaporated the metal - it’s really cheap stuff- just eye candy for cross tying loads on the back of a pickup with cheap truckers rope. Or hanging planter baskets in the yard...

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Keep in mind that each corner is only about 250#
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

whateg0 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:54 am Additional thoughts are each corner should only 250#, plus whatever weight isn't distributed evenly. 3/8" eyes should be plenty. I could even use larger ones. These are the type I'm thinking of.

Screenshot_20200316-115358_Chrome.jpg

Dave
Those things are not rated for lifting or supporting loads. There's a reason forged (one piece) lifting eyes exist. Use of a hardware store eye opens the door to the eye spreading under dynamic conditions...and down goes your load.
Keep in mind that each corner is only about 250#
It doesn't work that way, my friend. That's a static condition, which is never achieved in practice. If you plan on 250 pounds per "corner" I can guarantee you your machine will end up in a heap on the floor.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D