Can't Get Hole Drilled Through Sandblast Cabinet

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pollys1dad

Can't Get Hole Drilled Through Sandblast Cabinet

Post by pollys1dad »

I asked about drilling a hole in the cabinet before, see my previous post - Drilling Hole In Sandblast Cabinet For Bulkhead Adapter
I tried using a step bit, no luck I then bought a 20mm bi metal hole saw with a HSS bit, cabinet is 16 gauge steel. I used a quite powerful drill on low setting, after a couple of minutes not much of an impression, see photo, sorry about quality, no macro setting. I then swapped the drill bit that came with the holesaw, for a new HSS metal drill bit, still no go. I don't want to go to the expense of a hole punch set for just one hole.

Would I solve the problem using a black oxide or a cobalt steel drill bit for metal? Though that said the holesaw itself, " specially alloyed tool body with HSS teeth"
Any help, advice appreciated.
Thank you.
Attachments
A.JPG
spro

Re: Can't Get Hole Drilled Through Sandblast Cabinet

Post by spro »

Try a drill with an "impact" setting. You may want to start a new hole because the old one is hardened and wiped. I incorrectly said "impact" when meant "hammer drill" setting. Really though; the case is flexing when you apply pressure. This happens all the time and some wood blocking inside the case would make it more stable.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

And even with a punch you still need to make a hole for the bolt that pulls the 2 pieces together !! I would use a 6MM/1/4 bit at 1000-1500 RPM and use a LOT of force on the drill motor. I can not believe that cabinet material can be that hard/tough. Drills need the proper speed [SFM] to cut properly faster for small slower for larger. Vari speed drill motors are a great thing!
www.chaski.com
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I agree with John.
I don't see any discoloration, from heat, but even heat is not going to make sheet metal that hard. Hard to tell with the pic.
I think you need to push harder.
Or, you have a dull bit, or bits. I am assuming your drill is rotating the correct direction.

HSS, will work fine on sheet metal. Blast cabinets, electrical enclosures, what ever.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

I have a Vari speed drill with a hammer setting I'll give that a try and let the forum know I got on.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I do not know if propane behaves the same but I made a City Gas lighter by turning a short Nickel Chrome wire red hot with current.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Even industrial sand blast cabinets aren't that hard. We installed wear plates in some of them, but they were removable.

Jim B
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The harsh reality is that hardness in a blast cabinet is not important. Hard steels grind far better than soft steels, so there's little benefit in hardening.

What resists wear in a blast cabinet is soft rubber. You can impinge the rubber almost endlessly and do no damage. If that wasn't the case, the method used for engraving tombstones wouldn't be successful.

If you hope to prolong the useful life of a blast cabinet, buy a roll of 1/16" self adhesive rubber and apply it to the inside surfaces. It will age and harden long before you can blast a hole in it. I did that more than 30 years ago.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Tom1948

Post by Tom1948 »

What about die grinder and stones.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

As others have indicated, it shouldn't be that hard to drill. Something's not adding up with that problem.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
NP317

Post by NP317 »

When drilling holes in sheet metal, I alway drill a small hole (1/16" or less) first. Then larger drills to open it up.
The hole needs to be larger than the tip point web of the next rill.
The first small drill always works fine for me, if it is sharp.
RussN
spro

Post by spro »

Maybe good ole center drill from the lathe.