spring loaded tap follower

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

TRX

Re: spring loaded tap follower

Post by TRX »

Now make another plunger with a 60 degree countersink, for the occasional taps that have a point instead of a countersink. I have a bunch of those, all number sizes and <4mm metrics.

I took the easy route and bought a made-in-India cheapie off eBay; I wish I'd bought or made one long ago.
davidhayes

Post by davidhayes »

i had the same problem with the larger taps with the male taper the store bought convertible ones were too small on the female pilot so this is what I
machined up out of ground drill rod I did not harden mine but easy to do so. the drawing will give you an ideal how to make
tap guide.jpg
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I bought an MT2 3/8 and an MT2 1/2 mill holder put a spring each nd machined the plungers out of drill rod each plunder has male and female cone.
Also useful to push the long pointed rod to center a part with a dimple.
The same holder can house a 1/2" rod with a square drive 3/8 one end 1/4 the other end to engage the other type of Tap drivers
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX