First time using super glue chuck

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

First time using super glue chuck

Post by whateg0 »

I had a part to make that I was having a hard time holding. None of the lathe chucks I have backplates for have two-piece jaws, and copper pads were proving problematic. So, I decided to try superglue for the first time. Its holding power is impressive, and it worked great for making the parts. I put a block of aluminum in the chuck and glued the aluminum workpiece to it. I chose to glue the part directly to the fixture as the garage was cold, and I didn't trust the painter's tape to stick. In hindsight, maybe a steel block would have worked better as they would have expanded at different rates in the oven. After leaving the assembly to soak in the oven at 350F for almost an hour-and-a-half, it still wouldn't come apart. So, I moved it to the arbor press. I'm estimating that it took about a ton of force to break them apart. Fortunately, the shape of all of it lent itself well to doing that. Had there not been a through hole in the middle of the part, though, I don't know how I would have done it.

I have watched videos where others have used superglue to hold parts and then they either beat on the thing with a hammer to get it loose, or they jam a screwdriver under the part and pry on it. Is that the norm? I guess I kind of expected that at that temperature, the glue would soften. The datasheets for most CA glues seems to indicate that failure could occur above 200F.

Dave
John Hasler

Re: First time using super glue chuck

Post by John Hasler »

Not hot enough. You need aout 500 F. You just gave it a good heat cure.

Soaking overnight in acetone also works.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I'm glad you posted this. I am in the position of having to make some small parts and not being able to hold them in a vise for milling. I thought about double stick tape, but not super glue. That is the way I will hold the small parts. Thank you for posting.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Make sure you use a super glue with a lower temperature rating. They are available in a range of functional temps.
Check the LocTite charts on the back of their packages for that info, or online.
I have used an oxy-acet flame to release the bonded parts. Concentrated heat works well.
RN
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Well, I've learned something then. I looked at several datasheets and was seeing 200F as the working range, but I guess nobody lists a "here's where the parts will let loose" temperature. I used a generic CA glue that came in a pack of 4 at Walmart, thinking that CA is CA.

Dave
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Clickspring on youtube often makes use of super glue.

He chucks up a piece of aluminum and faces it. Then he puts circular groves in the face to hols the super glue. Then he presses the part and uses the tailstock to hold it in place.

He uses a torch to remove it. Never seen him have a problem with releasing.

Steve
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

whateg0 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:05 pm Well, I've learned something then. I looked at several datasheets and was seeing 200F as the working range, but I guess nobody lists a "here's where the parts will let loose" temperature. I used a generic CA glue that came in a pack of 4 at Walmart, thinking that CA is CA.

Dave
https://www.permabond.com/products/cyan ... adhesives/
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Try soaking it in Acetone. It should dissolve or soften the glue after a while.

Pete
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

It's apart now. I will soak it in acetone to get the glue off of the part, though. How well does that work when it would have to wick up in between the part and fixture?

Dave
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

A workmate was using eyedrops to battle an eye infection, went to the refrigerator in the middle of the night and inadvertently put drops of Loctite super glue in his eyes, spent a week in hospital!
Have no idea what they used to dissolve the glue?
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Aside from some special high temp variants, most seem to have a working temperature of up to about 180F. I still don't see much about failure mode above that, but it doesn't really matter much, I suppose. I see specs for shear strength, but don't see much on tensile strength and temperature's effect on it. Again, doesn't matter much now. Based on what I ran into and the shear strength numbers, I can see I had PLENTY of adhesion for the job at hand. OTOH, better to have too much than too little and have the part go flying.

Dave
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

whateg0 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:33 pm It's apart now. I will soak it in acetone to get the glue off of the part, though. How well does that work when it would have to wick up in between the part and fixture?

Dave
Slowly if the part is large. It always eventually works, though.