Trimmable flap disk

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Trimmable flap disk

Post by whateg0 »

Just read mention of Trimmable flap disks. I've never heard of them before. So I looked then up and they are sold by several vendors. I see YouTube videos on how to trim them. I understand that they are supposed to give you more life from a single disk. But I don't understand how they work. My flap disks always end up with the bottom of the perimeter worn away but not the top of the perimeter. So am I using them wrong? I've used them much like a sanding disk. The only way I can see trimming helping is to use the edge of the flaps instead of the bottom. Somebody please fill me in!!

Dave
LIALLEGHENY

Re: Trimmable flap disk

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

I trim just about any disc made, flap discs, roloc sanding discs, 3m surface prep discs, you name it. I have always just spun them up against my running 6" pedestal grinder . Amazing how much more life you can get from them.

Nyle
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Walter Abrasives has a Youtube video on this.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I watched several videos before, and have now rewatched the videos from Walter Abrasives thinking maybe I missed something. They show how to trim a trimmable flap disk. They also show a before and after. My disks don't get worn down around the perimeter. They round off on the bottom, so I don't see how trimming the support back on top would address that. So, my question is the same. Am I using them wrong? Am I not suppose to be using the bottom?
flap.jpg
flap.jpg (6.04 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
Dave
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Mine too. I just swapped out a disk today. Looked at it for trimming, no point I could see. But I tend to use mine flat unless getting into a corner or the like.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper