Mill & Lathe: Where to Put Them?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: Mill & Lathe: Where to Put Them?

Post by Mr Ron »

LIALLEGHENY wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:17 am Mr Ron,
It doesn't take that long to level a lathe or mill, nor does it really matter how long if the cost is factored into the job. There is also a lot of work out there that doesn't need to be held to thousands or tenths for that matter, especially in many of the industries I deal with. Sometimes you have to think outside the box to get a job done.

Nyle
My point on leveling a lathe is if the floor is very uneven, you may end up distorting the lathe or even cracking the bed. I guess a very small amount of unevenness can be tolerated as long as you are not turning anything between centers.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

SteveHGraham wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:50 am Mills don't have to be leveled, and there is a lot you can do on a lathe, even on long work, without leveling it.
True a mill doesn't have to be perfectly leveled, but you don't want it rocking from side-to-side. If a lathe is not level, turning between centers will result in tapered rounds and a potential for a permanent set in the bed. I would not risk it with my machines.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Fact is, turning with or without a center can yield taper. That's the result of the bed of a lathe twisting. Lathes are leveled to remove twist. They need not be level to operate. You could set your lathe at an angle, and it would operate perfectly well, assuming it had no twist.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I was wondering when someone would point that out.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Harold_V wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:15 pm Fact is, turning with or without a center can yield taper. That's the result of the bed of a lathe twisting. Lathes are leveled to remove twist. They need not be level to operate. You could set your lathe at an angle, and it would operate perfectly well, assuming it had no twist.

H
Are you saying a lathe sitting on a un-level floor won't introduce twist in the bed? By setting at an angle, do you mean the floor may have say a 2°slope, but as long as the sloped floor is flat, twist won't be an issue? Please clarify.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:07 am
Harold_V wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:15 pm Fact is, turning with or without a center can yield taper. That's the result of the bed of a lathe twisting. Lathes are leveled to remove twist. They need not be level to operate. You could set your lathe at an angle, and it would operate perfectly well, assuming it had no twist.

H
Are you saying a lathe sitting on a un-level floor won't introduce twist in the bed? By setting at an angle, do you mean the floor may have say a 2°slope, but as long as the sloped floor is flat, twist won't be an issue? Please clarify.
If both ends of the bed are 5 degrees off in the same direction, then it will be "level" for purposes of getting the twist out of the bed.

The classic example that has been beaten to death is leveling a lathe on board a ship.

Steve
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Exactly. They put lathes on submarines.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Mount them in trucks too. Both lathes and mills among other things.
And, in sea containers. Leveling was done, with a front end loader or LHD....and by eye, before they got set on the ground. One a those sticks with a bubble in it.....never was used.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:07 am

H
To clarify:
No, I did not say that a lathe bed sitting on an un-level floor won't introduce twist. I strongly suspect it would, unless the lathe was trued, just as it would on a level surface. That doesn't mean it has to be level, just that the bed must be in a common plane, what ever it may be. It can be the 2° slope you mentioned, or it can be no slope at all, or anything in between or beyond.

Keep in mind, machine tools are operated aboard ships, where level can be accomplished ONLY when the ship is at rest in calm water (if even then). They still operate perfectly well, because they are adjusted to a common plane.

Level is used because it's easy to remember and easy to verify, which is as simple as turning the level 180°. So long as the bubble remains in the same place when the level is rotated, you know the surface is straight (or "level"). The same thing can be accomplished on a less than level surface, taking note of the change from center of the bubble, but it's easy to go beyond the capacity of a precision level, so it doesn't work well. It's just easier to get the machine level.

One consideration for machines that are not level, although I don't expect that it's a problem--is that some machines may rely on a level condition to provide proper lubrication.

One levels a mill to prevent items from rolling when placed on the table. It's really annoying to place a drill or edge finder on the table, only to see it roll off to the floor.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

The answer is simple; level the lathe in a spot where stock can extend outwards, if necessary, through a window or door.

Make the mill mobile.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:23 pm
My suggestion to you is to ensure that you can machine a piece at least 8' long.

H
Good suggestion, Harold. I'll bear that in mind when the time comes to layout my space.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"