surface grinder vacuum

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

surface grinder vacuum

Post by SteveM »

I see people running a dust collector of some sort off the side of their surface grinders and figured that id I just use my shop vac, I'm risking a fire.

What do you use for that?

Can you use one of those fireplace vacuums?

I have a vacuum with a metal canister. If I clean it out and replace the filter to ensure there are no sawdust particles in it, can I use that, or is there something else I need to do?

I have some fine-mesh stainless steel screen I could use as a spark arrestor. Would that work?

Steve
earlgo

Re: surface grinder vacuum

Post by earlgo »

Steve: I used a Delta T&C grinder and sharpened pipe threading dies for 4 years when I was "between jobs" and after. I had a Craftsman shop vacuum (with paper filter) mounted in a shed on the other side of the wall to cut down the noise. In all those years, the only damage was melting a few small holes in the vacuum hose next to the intake where it curved around to get to the straight run outside. No fires, or even a hint of one. This was serious sparking and for 4 or so hours at a time. You will be safe if you are aware of what is going on.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.